Star Lounger
    Thanks

Difficulty with paging option in Word 2010

I am not able to create a new document with page numbers and successfully employ the option “Different odd and even pages”. This used to work just fine.
    Now, if I select this options, I only get page numbers on even pages and no page numbers on odd pages at all.

Word 2010
    Windows 7

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Enabling the "Different odd and even pages" option essentially unlinks the headers / footers on odd and even pages. In other words, it creates two different headers / footers. You must have a page number code in each of the two headers or footers.

If you have inserted a page number code in one of the headers or footers before enabling "Different odd and even pages," you will get exactly the result you describe: page numbering will display in one but not the other. However, it's a simple matter to insert a page number code in the other header or footer (best methods: (1) position the cursor where you want the page number code to appear, then click the Page Number drop-down and click Current Position, Simple, Plain Number (for a plain vanilla page number without any fancy formatting); or (2) position the cursor, then press the KB shortcut Alt Shift P).

CAUTION: Don't use the "Bottom of Page" or "Top of Page" option if you have other text in your header or footer. Those options will delete any existing text in the header or footer.

Hope this helps.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jan,

I click on "Insert" and then "Page Number." I then select the option, in this case, "Different Odd and Even Pages." So, by process definition, don't you always insert a page number code before enabling the option? I mean, how would I select the option before the page number? Is that even possible?

Your idea worked. I had to enter the Footer editor first to do it, but this seems really insane that MicroSoft would design it like this. What is MicroSoft's expectation here for properly inserting a page number? How do I do pagination "in the right order?"

Thanks so much for the help!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're very welcome.

It's just the way headers and footers work in Word. You can insert a page number either before or after selecting "Different odd and even pages," but because the option in effect creates two different, and unlinked / unconnected, headers/footers -- that's what the "Different" refers to -- you must insert a page number code in each footer (or header, depending on where you are placing the page number).

The option is most useful when you want a page number code to appear in a different position on odd and even pages. Maybe you want the page numbers on odd pages to be at the bottom right and page numbers on even pages to be at the bottom left. There's no easy way to accomplish that unless you instruct word to use different footers for odd and even pages.

Another common use of the "Different odd and even pages" option is for books where headers on odd pages display the chapter title and headers on even pages display the book title.

Does that make sense?

I'm wondering if you need the option at all. Do you want the footers (or headers) to be substantively different on odd and even pages? If not, there's no reason to use the option.

Let us know...

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    WSC3,

Jan is correct. The whole reason for this option is so that the odd/even header/footer will be different e.g. page number on the left for even pages and on the right for odd pages. This is designed for two sided printing like in a book. If you want the page number centered there is no need to select this option unless you want some other difference as cited by Jan.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jan/RetiredGeek,

Yep. I've self published a number of books, so I'm familiar with how and why to use alternate pagination. What surprised me is that i never had trouble before with it leaving all of the even page numbers blank when I selected it. I'm not sure when that omission first occurred. What baffles me is why MicroSoft would make a user who selected this option force the display of even pages with a separate step. This seems very goofy to me. I asked for pagination; I specified alternate page placement. Now do it. What's hard about that?

If I select the page number and then the option, I would expect all page numbers to appear. I would not anticipate a separate (and almost geek level) step to then say, "Oh, print even page numbers too." I just made that selection that when I said make odd and even pages different. I shouldn't have to make it twice.

Does this make sense?

Thanks.

WSC3

Thanks
    WSC3,

I guess MS figures if you want different odd/even you will want to change something and there is no way they know what so they just don't do anything.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sigh. I want to put page numbers at different corners as in a book as per your description above. Put them there and then let me MOVE them if my vision for them is somehow different than that. But I guess I preach to the choir, huh?

thanks again.

WSC3

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSC3 View Post
    Sigh. I want to put page numbers at different corners as in a book as per your description above. Put them there and then let me MOVE them if my vision for them is somehow different than that. But I guess I preach to the choir, huh?

thanks again.

WSC3
    You can place Page numbers anywhere on the page. I often use a white number in a black box on the outer edge in the vertical centre of each page. You need to use a text box filled in black with a field code formatted in white. Anchor the text box to the header or footer and then set the text box to 'in front of text' with alignment set to vertical centre and right or left aligned wrt the page.