Thanks

Windows 8 and Norton Ghost V15

Be advised that Norton Ghost V15 (the latest version) does not work under Windows 8 as at this date. Symantec personnel report "this is being worked on at present". (I have tried Acronis True Image 2013 and it DOES work(!))
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I can also attest that Acronis 2013 works well with Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I installed Norton Ghost v15 on Windows 8 and it did run - sort of.

There were repeated errors when attempting to backup the boot partition (on a dual booted machine). The main OS and data drives were backed up OK, but due to the error messages, I didn't feel entirely comfortable and removed it. Others may take a different view, but in my book, a backup tool needs to be extremely robust - little point finding your backups are broken just when you really need them.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks

Cool

I find it somewhere beyond Incredible. that the latest Version of Ghost does not work with Win-8,
    when the old DOS version, "Ghost 11.5" works like a charm.
    It works exactly like it did on XP, Vista and Win-7. No difference!

Equally incredible, is that experts from Symantec deny that there ever was a Ghost 11.5. Go figure.

A good backup program is like a good woman, , , once you find one, you want to stay with it.
    I've been using a DOS version of Ghost, since 1997, and I'm sticking with it.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think the reason why Gost 11.5 works with Windows 8 (and yes Ghost 11.5 does exist), while things like Ghost 15 do not, is because I believe it runs outwith Windows from pre boot (PE Boot or Dos) environment. As such it does not have to trigger a VSS capture or worry about shadow streams on a live mounted NTFS volume - it can simply access the volume from the pre-environment.

Put simply, it does not run from within Windows, but accesses the disk outside of the native OS.

The downside of that is that it can't be run as a full backup suite from inside Windows. Ghost 15 on the otherhand has a management console that makes it ideal for running as part of an integrated daily (or more frequent) backup solution while Windows is running. It's horses for courses really. I prefer to run my backups from within Windows so I can schedule them overnight, but any other way that grabs a verified snapshot is equally valid.

Ghost 11.5 was bundled as part of the Symantec Solutions Suite 2.5, which put a wrapper round Ghost 11.5 to run under the Windows OS. That might be part of the reason why Symantec do not confirm its existence - one couldn't purchase Ghost 11.5 as a standalone application; the user must buy Symantec Solutions Suite 2.5 to obtain it, or un-bundle it from a manufactures hard disk cloning program. I recall Seagate had a cloning tool that used Ghost 11.5 at its core.

It would be interesting to see if Symantec Solutions Suite 2.5 can run from inside Windows 8 as a native application rather than having to drop down into a pre-boot environment.

There was a similar issue for Ghost 14 and Windows 7. It had to be upgraded to Ghost 15 to work correctly.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    It would be interesting to see if Symantec Solutions Suite 2.5 can run from inside Windows 8 as a native application rather than having to drop down into a pre-boot environment.
    It won't! I tried.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!