Thanks

OneNote questions

I am looking very seriously at either the desktop version of OneNote, or going all in and going with 365. I use OneNote a lot, and read where I can embed video and or audio clips. The video is something that just might come in handy. I don't see either option in the version that is used in SkyDrive, and given the limitations of Excel that I have experienced I thought I would ask those of you that have OneNote and use SkyDrive, if I would be able to view/listen those video/audo clips via SkyDrive. It would also follow that it would be nice to view/listen those on my Windows Phone as well, since it is all sync'd up.
    Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    I never really tried that, but I suppose that it would work fine if you attach the files in question. I am not sure the mobile version of OneNote supports audio and video playing, either.

Thanks
    I opened OneNote '13, and inserted an audio (Alanna Myles' Black Velvet) and a small video that I took with my WP7.5
    I made the note directly to Personal Web. I looked for it in SkyDrive thinking that it would show up just like some of my other notebooks, but it didn't (Will have to figure that out as to why) I found it under Documents, Miscellaneous, Personal Web.
    I went to my phone, opened SkyDrive went to the above mentioned folder, and voila it sync'd everything.I first clicked on the audio file, it downloaded and played it.
    I then went to the video file, clicked and it downloaded and played it too.
    So yes you can insert a video or audio clip and it will play on your Windows Phone.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    OneNote is a great app

Thanks
    yea it is. Here is something I noticed the other day.
    When I was using the SkyDrive OneNote Web App, if I removed a tagged line item, the tag was removed with it. Which I think is the way it should be. In O365 OneNote however if I have a line item tagged say with a "ToDo" tag, and remove that line item, the tag stays put. If I then delete the line, the next item moves up of course, but now has 2 tags? The only way to change it is to remove both line item tags one at a time, because it removes the first tag first, and the second second (2 wasteful steps) and then re apply the tag.
    To carry it further, in the SkyDrive OneNote Web App, if I had a line tagged, then hit enter, the tag was applied to the next line as well. In O365 it is not.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Follow Up!
    I see that if I open O365 OneNote, and make the additions and or subtractions from my notes, everything is as it should be. Once closed and opened in SkyDrive and or my Windows Phone all of the changes show up. Even the spell check!. I can live with that, because about the only time I remove a line item while using it from my phone, is when I move ( using cut/paste) to another location within the OneNote page.
    Thanks John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, Office 365 went away when I clean installed Windows 8, so only use the desktop and the mobile version (it could do with a bit more functionality, this one).

Thanks
    Dang, I feel like such a noob.

I have been playing around with OneNote '13 this morning.
    I was having a problem again! printing into Adobe. It seems to want to print korean, Japanese, chinese characters. So, I went to print out a web page, and tried the OneNot Clipping tool. That was cool, but I needed the entire page. Next I clicked on the print icon on the web page tool bar and noticed it said "Send to OneNote 2013" so I clicked on that. It printed all pages, then gave me the ability to choose where I wanted it. So I saved it to a location in SkyDrive, then went to my phone to see how it would look. Would it be readable? Well, I am ok with the way it looks, but there is a lot of blank between pages 1 and 2?, and it loads faster than the same page after I used snag it to grab the page, and then saved it to pdf, then saved that to SkyDrive. Another plus is it is also easier to read. When viewing the same page in Adobe, I have to scroll over and back to get all of the info, and if you are in a store, with poor wireless reception and no Wifi you know what a P.I.T.A. that is. Looking at it in OneNote its all there, and loads fast.
    OOPS gotta go, I just thought of another use !!!
    Probably the biggest advantage, for me at least, of printing to OneNote instead of pdf, is that I can pin that OneNot notebook as a tile on my startscreen, instead of having to open up SkyDrive to view a pdf document.
    If anyone has anymore tips and tricks, please send em my way.
    Thanks
    John
    Thanks John