New Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor dims on desktop pc

I have a desktop pc, that I purchased in 2008. It is an HP computer, running Vista 32 bit, with an NVidea GeForce 8400 video card.
    For the last week, my computer monitor has suddenly started to act strangely. It would suddenly, for no apparent reason, turn dim. Then, a short time later, it would come back to normal state. The best way I can describe it is, like a notebook that is plugged in, unplugged (it goes dim), then plugged back in.
    My first thought was a loose plug. They're OK. Next, maybe an update caused a problem. I did a System restore to 3 days prior to the problem, just to be sure. I did a full AV and Malware scan. No change. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's enough to give me pause.
    What could be the problem?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It might be worth reseating all boards, especially the graphics board. You might also check the graphics manufacturer for possible driver updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Does the dimming of the screen coincide with a UAC prompt, or a failed UAC prompt?
    Try to look for coincidences with whatever your doing on your computer.
    Totally random occurances would usually tend to indicate a hardware issue.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The dimming appears to be random. Its happened when I was clicking between screens. It doesn't appear to be pregram specific either. I am currently 1 update behind on the Nvidea card, because the new update sets the screen to 16x9 vs. 4x3 ratio. I tried the update, and it was difficult to keep it in proper aspect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It might be that the graphic driver are corrupted so re-install the graphic driver if this is not the problem use another monitor just to check whats the problem the graphic card or the monitor if it works fine on another monitor you have to repair the monitor or to change it if not if not you have to change the graphic card my friend

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor to compare with. A few years ago, I purchased this monitor, because my last one went totally black.
    Tonight, after work, I'll have to crack open the case, to make sure the video card is properly seated.
    Next, I'll try to reinstall the video driver, after setting a restore point. Since Nvidea will install the latest driver, I'll have to try to get it to work in 4x3 aspect ratio. Last time I updated it, it changed everything to 16x9, and even though I would change it back to 4x3, every time I rebooted, it went back to 16x9. Because of that, I did a system restore, to before the update, and I left it there.
    The other complication, is the problem is so intermittent. On some days, it will happen a few times every hour. On others, it will barely happen at all. You never know if or when it will happen.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by d.riseberg; 2012-09-19 at 09:06.

New Lounger
    Thanks

monitor

You may have failing capacitors, if so it will get worse. This is how my monitor slowly died.