Thanks

Thanks
    I read that somewhere else as well. It was only a matter of time. Ed Bott's report on ZDNet also speaks of this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    MAC's have always been susceptible to attack in some form or another, they have just traditionally had a limited surface area for the attack.
    (limited user base in comparison to MS).
    Now that MAC has become far more popular, it opens up an entire class of users previously lulled by a false sense of security, and
    those that have now switched from MS hoping for more security.

To all the virus and malware makers out there: Fire away baby, the MAC userbase is in dire need of a reality check imo.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-07 at 10:50. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    It's really educational to read some of the Mac users comments to Ed Bott's article. People do want to deceive themselves. Amazing!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As somebody said "Its just a matter of time, but when it breaks, it's gonna break bigtime".

It's the "We don't need protection" statements that amaze me!

Thanks
    Absolutely!!

mart44
    Mac market share has increased but perhaps not enough to be the sole reason for the recent attacks on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wi..._pie_chart.png

I used to read quite a few comments in forum threads saying that Macs aren't vulnerable to malware. Maybe the claim is a contributing factor behind the reason for the attacks. 'Red rag to a bull' is a term that comes to mind. Increased market share plus this claim maybe makes it time to attack Macs.

Possibly not enough accent was put on the fact that it's only the wealth of Windows malware that Macs aren't vulnerable to. This much is true but perhaps many users rested easy and perhaps even switched to a Mac because they thought Macs just couldn't get malware at all. It would be nice if that was the case.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Appled fed the notion that viruses and malware was strictly a Windows issue. Many Mac users bought into that. Some users still say it's not an OS X issue, as in this case it was a Java vulnerability that was explored. They are still feeding the myth that OS X "technological superiority", whatever that means, would keep them immune to malware. I even saw someone defending the dumping of Office, Java and Adobe products, as a way to ensure Macs are free from malware. I guess they have missed the fact that they can just unplug the computer from all networks and never insert a USB flash device or any other external source bearing malware, they will be free of it.

This makes me remember a real sys admin that to protect a system from hacks, actually remove all network connections. Only sneaker net was available .

New Lounger
    Thanks

in reply to the thread title "no OS is an island"

Actually, hp openvms is...it was declared "cool and unhackable" at defcon 9.

I imagine you probably haven't heard of it, due to hp's (and compaq's before them, and digital's before them) poor marketing of it. Probably more importantly in this forum, it's not an end-user pc o/s like windows or the mac operating systems.

But I just wanted to mention it, do my part for the marketing...