Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Avoid Cmd when using RecImg

Handy, free utility if you use RecImg.
    https://www.slimwareutilities.com/recimg_manager.php

Rich

Below quote is from Dave's Computer Tips site regarding inquiry about a bootable CD. Apparently Slimware answered with following:

Boot-able media will be released near the final Windows 8 release at the very latest. We are still collecting feedback on that.
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2012-09-20 at 08:46. Reason: Addition

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2012-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Nice find, thanks .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    wow this is a good one thank you for help my friend

Thanks
    For those that do not have a separate data partition, this could save time restoring your system. You still have to back up your data separately from the Image you would make. You would also have to be prepared in the event your HD itself fails. It is very important to continue to B/U data, no matter how you have your PC set up (data partition or no data partition). This app can provide a means of getting your system up and running, but without your data.

The point is to have some sort of backup scheme and to stick to it. Even with a separate data partition, not only do I Image my system, but I back up my data.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ted, you can use the windows 8 Refresh option that will leave your data untouched. That's why this type of backup is so useful.

Thanks
    I realize Refresh will leave your data untouched, assuming it works correctly. I guess this is one of those areas where I'm old fashioned and have an Imaging and backup scheme that works well for me. All these back up schemes assume the cause is some sort of corruption. A failed HD will require more than these.

I just like to keep my data separate from the OS. Regardless of where the data is kept though, it still needs to be backed up. These type of backups specifically do not include your data. This makes it even more important to have a method of backing up your data. Whether you do this on a separate partition, separate HD, DVD's or an Ext. HD is personal choice. I have found backups of data off the PC are safer, whether on hardware or in the cloud.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    You still have to reinstall your apps after a Refresh. And you can't rely on it for data backup, only recovery from OS issues. Data backup should not be done to a separate partition on the same hard drive since it will be lost with a hard drive crash. I like Windows 8 File History for data backup since it is done continuously with no user intervention although like Ted, I do imaging for my main backup.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have not tried File History yet. I am waiting until after Win 8 Pro is released. Plus my Ext. HD is only connected when I am actually backing up.

I do realize that backing up to a separate partition is not recommended in case of a HD failure, but some people use a separate partition to store a copy of their Images on (in addition to off the HD I would hope) because this is quicker if a corruption has caused the need to restore. I do not personally do this because when I have to restore from Image, it is a less than 10 minute operation. Because of this I would prefer keeping my valuable HD space free of these Images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ruirib: You are welcome and thanks for all the help and comments that you post.

@donita: Glad you find it as useful as I.
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2012-09-19 at 12:43. Reason: addition to post

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You still have to reinstall your apps after a Refresh.
    Jerry
    I think that statement is not correct, Jerry, when you use Recimg. A Refresh uses the latest refresh point, so only apps you added after creating the refresh point will need to be reinstalled. Recimg can be used to create a refresh point that includes all desktop apps installed at that time.

Refresh, IMO, just adds a nice, easy option to get to a working windows install, if you have problems with your OS not working properly. It is not, IMO, an option that will replace backups, but it is just another option in your repair tools arsenal.

Thanks
    You're correct RUI. I was thinking of the case where Reimag was not used. Sorry about that.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You're correct RUI. I was thinking of the case where Reimag was not used. Sorry about that.

Jerry
    No problems at all, Jerry .

Lounger
    Thanks

Caution about RecImg

In my test of RecImg on 8 Pro it failed in all respects. This may be because it was working on a dual-boot 8/7 computer with the backup directed to a custom folder on a separate, dedicated backup drive (eSATA not networked).

I found the backup process surprising long, over twenty minutes for an 8 volume that the Acronis 2011 Boot Disc images in three minutes (and restores in about the same).

When I initiated RecImg's Restore, it could not locate the backup file, which had indeed not been saved to the folder I specified, although the size of the backup suggested it might be complete.

My impression thus is that RecImg's concept and interface are excellent but that it's actual performance is more alpha than beta.

As it is said, your mileage may vary!

Thanks
    Thanks for the test Hans. I have had super success with Imaging using Acronis TIH, first 2010, then 2011 and now 2013. I see very little advantage to me with Recimg. I do have a separate partition for all my data. Presently my Images do not include my data, but many include both OS partitions. Once Win 8 Pro is released I will Image Win 7 again, then replace Win 7 with Win 8 Pro. After I have everything set up and running I will then delete Win 8 Ent. Eval. and reclaim that partition into my data partition. This will leave me with a Win 8 Pro partition of about 75 Gb.

I might try the File History data backup, although my data needs are modest and changes are not daily, so I'm not sure in my case it would help, but it does look very nice for those with constantly changing, or heavier data backup needs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Testing RecImg With Slimware's Manager

I had more favorable results with my dual boot system than HansPeter. I made a custom refresh file using Slimware's Manager, putting the image on a separate TB drive. Right after that I made a backup of my Windows 8 partition using Acronis 2013 (Ted, aka Medico, will smile over my caution). I did not want to initiate my test while in Windows 8 so I booted with my iso and chose Repair, then Advance and finally Refresh. It did take much more time to complete than had I used Acronis. When I rebooted with the "refreshed" Windows 8, I found an HTML on my desktop with a listing of 4 programs (apps) it had removed. Google Chrome was one and Skydrive was another. The other two not worth mentioning.
    All my icons were present but when I ran CCleaner and a few others, they initially ran as if just installed (apparently configuration info was not picked up by the refresh). I also ended up with a Windows.old folder.
    It is apparent to me that Windows 8 Refresh needs some more fine tuning and should not be depended upon as the sole backup program in one's arsenal of protection. Let's hope October will bring better results.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast