5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A fine-tooth comb process for malware removal

LANGALIST PLUS

A fine-tooth comb process for malware removal

By Fred Langa

It can seem like a bad tradeoff: quick malware scans can sometimes miss things, but thorough scans can take hours and seriously slow your system. The solution? Combine the two scan types so you're extremely well protected and you don't lose productivity.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/a-fine-tooth-comb-process-for-malware-removal/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    G'Day Fred, I find Voidtool.com's [freeware] "Search Everything" program excellent for finding files/folders. Please keep your day job! Best regards John

Thanks
    Congratulations to Mr Langa, who clearly and pleasingly realises that the metaphor relates to a comb with thin teeth (fine-tooth comb), rather than a good-quality comb for teeth (fine tooth-comb, as often said)...

</pedant>
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Congratulations to Mr Langa, who clearly and pleasingly realises that the metaphor relates to a comb with thin teeth (fine-tooth comb), rather than a good-quality comb for teeth (fine tooth-comb, as often said)...

</pedant>
    For removing malware, a fine-toothed comb is better than nothing, but I would prefer a shovel that would not let even a little through.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    For the paranoid (or belt-and-suspenders type) re malware scanning, I've long used either Tea-Timer (Spybot Search&Destroy) or the appropriate setting in Comodo Firewall - they essentially lock the registry and require admin permission to make changes - thus if malware does manage to get past real-time scanning, it has a much harder time doing anything.

The weekly third-party online scan is a welcome inclusion to the maintenance mix; thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting. I visited the SpeedFan website mentioned in the article, and the download was blocked by Malwarebytes antimalware. I quarantined the *.exe file!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

From your article, it sounds like you have your computer systems powered up all the time. Surely you don't get up before 6 AM to turn on the system for the daily scan and I don't think task scheduler runs on a computer that is off or asleep. Could you share a little more detail about these aspects of your fine tooth comb?
    Jon

New Lounger
    Thanks

Third Line of Defense: Scheduling Weekly Full Scan

Fred,
    The Task Scheduler will initiate MSE but how is the scan option changed from the daily "quick" scan to the desired "full" scan?

Jim