New Lounger

Word 2010 Navigation Pane Issues

Has anyone ever seen the Navigation Pane freeze? What I mean is, it doesn't automatically update as you add or delete a heading in Word 2010. When I add a new heading and start entering text, the Navigation Pane does not reflect the change. I have to click on the thumbnail or search tab in the Nav Pane and then go back to heading view in order to see the change. Very frustrating!

Pacific Grove, California, USA
    Has the Navigation Pane worked in the past? Are you in compatibility mode? Are you using styles to apply numbering?

Can you provide a sanitized version of your document?

When I use the Heading X styles (or any properly-defined heading style), the Nav Pane updates as I type. I've seen some oddities with documents in compatibility mode, though I can't test right now to see if this is one of them.

I haven't found a setting that might affect this, though someone else might know of one. Further, I can't make the Nav Pane not work in a consistent manner. If a paragraph has a level defined for it, it will appear in the Nav Pane. If it doesn't, it won't, even after clicking on other tabs.