Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox and Babylon

I installed firefox and found babylon extension was installed as well I removed babylon from firefox but babylon re installs
    How can I get rid of babylon for good?
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-20 at 13:05. Reason: spelling

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Did you disable the Babylon add-on, then use Programs and Features to remove the Toolbar? Perhaps this Mozilla support page will assist.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Colby (2012-09-20)

Thanks
    Babylon removal instructions are listed here:
    http://www.babylon.com/info/uninstall

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Colby (2012-09-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks

BlOatware

I'm having trouble removing a bit of blOatware. I have tried all, but the most suspect removal suggestions. It's impossible to remove "Babylon Search" from Firefox. Even Firefox's suggestion doesn't do the job. It has embedded itself somewhere on my system and I can't find it. Does anyone have an updated removal program, most on the web are from 2009 backwards. I think "Babylon Search" has updated itself to make it tougher and harder to remove. I would appreciate any updated suggestions on removing this pest.

Thanks, Colby

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Medico - Babylon was hidden (nothing there to indicate a disabled button) inside the software that I down loaded, which has since been removed. Babylon infected both IE and Firefox. I got it out of IE, but I have been unable to remove it completely from Firefox. I removed Firefox completely from my computer and then down loaded the latest version; the Babylon Tab reappered when I opened Firefox. Babylon is not appearing in the Add/Remove window.

@ jwitalka - Went to the Mozilla site and redid what it instructed. I've done this several times prior, to what you suggested and I'm still unable to remove it from the Browser. The tab keeps showing up when Firefox is started. I think Babylon.com has figured out a way to outsmart Firefox at start up. I sent a request to Mozilla (haven't heard back from them as yet.) outlining the problem encountered. I am unable to remove Babylon from the, ("Extension" → Uninstall the following extension: Babylon 1.1.9 To remove Babylon Toolbar.) It shows a later update number, I didn't write it down but it wasn't 1.1.9. The radio bar is shaded and unavailable to remove Babylon from the 'Extension'. Thanks, Guys. I guess Babylon is turning into a major problem for Mozilla

Thanks
    I wonder if someone else has been successful at removing this junk. I said somewhere, I will not install an app I download if it includes this junk, even with an Opt Out. It is definitely not worth the hassles.

Do you by any chance have an Image created before this monster showed up? Restoring to an Image would be a very quick fix for this. I do not think a system Restore will help with a FF problem but I suppose it's worth a try.

There are 2 threads with this same problem. I believe it might be appropriate to merge them. I will do so.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No I do not have an image to use. The main problem is this, Babylon had no "Opt-Out" radio button. The whole program was hidden within the main program to be downloaded. I was able to remove the program, but Babylon had embeded itself deep in the system.

Thanks
    Was this downloaded directly from Mozilla, or a 3rd party site?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Did you disable the Babylon add-on, then use Programs and Features to remove the Toolbar? Perhaps this Mozilla support page will assist.
    Babylon is not to be seen as a Firfox add on add on, not to be seen Win7 add remove programs. In Firefox option Google is set as search engine, Google.com as the home page. Babylon still appears as the search engine. searched Win7 c:\ babylon no result.
    Where else can it be hidden btw I have win7 set up to show hidden files & folders.

Thanks
    A Google Search shows sites about removing Babylon from Firefox. It seems most of these are not working for the 2 of you. I might try a brute force approach.

First uninstall FireFox using Revo Uninstaller in Advanced Mode (The free edition of Revo only works with 32 Bit apps. Hopefully your FF installations were 32 Bit)

Second run CCleaner including the registry cleaner portion. Look for anything relating to FF or Babylon and remove them.

Third, using regedit.exe (Run or search regedit). Find all instances of Fire Fox (edit tab, find. F3 for next) and all instances of Babylon and delete them. Be very careful what you delete.

Finally attempt to reinstall FF from here.

I hope the brute force approach works. Otherwise you might be looking at a reinstallation of Windows to rid yourselves of Babylon. What a pest this is!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Colby (2012-09-21),Rubyjim (2012-09-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was a third party website, www://antaki.ca/bloom/index.php#download ... This program is an uploader to F8, if you ever get banned by F8. Inside the program is Babylon. I was able to disable and remove, Bloom - but I'm still unable to remove it. I see that someone below suggested a website that might work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colby For This Useful Post:

Rubyjim (2012-09-22)

Thanks
    I always feel uncomfortable downloading well know S/W from 3rd party sites. These sites are often paid to include other junk which no-one wants otherwise. I hope the 2 of you eventually solve this problem. I suspect the Babylon you got is deeply entrenched malware. I wonder is something like MalwareBytes or Spybot Search and Destroy or perhaps Super Antispyware would help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Colby (2012-09-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll give each of those a try. Plus Revo Thanks
    Last edited by Colby; 2012-09-21 at 08:45. Reason: missed a word

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Went to REVO. Clicked download - they want $40. bucks. What is the address for the free version? I have a 32 bit sysytem. Thanks. REVO identified 2 locations that contain the Babylon Toolbar, but before it would remove them, they wanted $40.

Thanks
    This page shows the comparison and at the bottom of the chart are the 2 download links. Be advised the free version sees only 32 Bit apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast