3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2core processors and 64 bits

I have been told that any computers with dual core CPUs can run 64 bit OS and programs. Is this true???

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    I have been told that any computers with dual core CPUs can run 64 bit OS and programs. Is this true???

David
    Both the CPU and motherboard have to be able to support 64 bit OS. Check the specs to be sure. If it can support 64 bit, it will be prominent in the spec sheet.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Intel's processor identification utility will give you the information you need about your own processor.

Thanks
    Unless I am much mistaken, all recent Intel and AMD processors have supported 64-bit running - for at least the last five years!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Unless I am much mistaken, all recent Intel and AMD processors have supported 64-bit running - for at least the last five years!
    While this is true, it's not always obvious that any system as a whole supports 64-bit operations. While the OP's question was only about processors, one might take also this into account.

Most often problems occur in laptops. According to my experience this happens in connection with some components like WLAN adapters, sound cards etc. Even if the OEM components would have 64-bit drivers they don't always work - probably because the laptop maker has changed the component in some way, most often to cancel some disturbance from other parts of the mobo. As the end result you may have a system that indeed can run but is crippled to some extent.

If the system was originally provided as 32-bit, manufacturers like HP, Acer etc. very often don't support them for 64-bit OSes. So, if you have a 32-bit system up & running but you plan to upgrade, you may want to download an upgrade advisor tool from Microsoft. This is for Win 7, but it's the one I'd recommend to most, if not all

Just for the sports of it, I've installed 64-bit Win 7 on a desktop system from as early as 2004, and got it running faster and more stable than XP ever. Afterwards, I did install 2 Gb of RAM though (instead of the original 512 Mb) to prevent it ruining the hard drive 'prematurely'. Consequently it has run even better from that on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. The link to the Upgrade Advisor took me to a site that could be Finnish(?) And at the MS site the only upgrade advisor seemed to be from Vista or XP to Win 7. I am already using Win 7, 32 bit. The only reason for changing was to add more RAM for Photoshop CS6. However, since it is working perhaps I'd best not fix it.

Thanks again.

David

Thanks
    Does this look better for the Upgrade Advisor?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Securable from Gibson Research is a nifty little tool that will tell you if your processor supports 64 bit operation.