Thread: IF function

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IF function

I have attached a sample of a work sheet I use every week. The highlighted fields are the ones I am inquiring about. I think I need to use an "IF" function to get the results I'm looking for. When I checked "Help", I saw examples for numerical and text, but not a combination. As you can see, the highlighted fields that include "TT" require a different "per load" amount. I would like the per load field to change to the appropriate amount automatically to lessen chance of errors. Formulas are tricky for me and I know if they aren't done EXACTLY as they are supposed to be, they are very unforgiving. Looking forward to an answer to what I'm sure is an easy solution for you. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    K32rem,

If your example is all inclusive, i.e. there are no other cases other than TT and numbers you can use this formula in col G6 and then copy it down.
    =IF(ISNUMBER(F6),800,950).
    If there are other cases you need to let us know for a more accurate answer.

FYI: you probably want the formula =D6*G6 in H6 and copy it down also.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-09-20 at 10:35.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that works great! One thing I didn't take into consideration though was there are times the "F" column is blank, and in that case the amount needs to default to $800. Sorry I took so long to reply. I only use this once a week and this morning remembered I inquired about this last week!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    E,

It is common practice on this board to post sample files so that the responder can see the actual problem, much better than verbal explanations.
    It's up to the responder to have security in place to prevent any possible malicious code from executing. To the best of my knowledge we have never had that problem in the Lounge.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by _e` View Post
    If this post were a scam it worked perfectly, dissimulating the intencion and having people downloading the exel file and runing it.
    png or something like that is enought to me
    maybe some users think the same as i, and avoid try to help :x

This is not a help post :( no xls to me
    What are you talking about? Someone helped the OP within 18 minutes of the original post, so there was no need for further assistance. Also, the posting of spreadsheets is widespread on this forum - an image cannot possibly convey all the subtleties of an Excel formula or complicated worksheet setup!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose you received your answer long ago or else gave up on this. I don't see an answer here for your second question. I think what you need is a nested If function that will also deal with the contingency of nothing in the F column. I would do it like this:

=IF(F6="",800,IF(ISNUMBER(F6),800,950))