New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to enter data into simple query with "Unique Values" set to yes

I have put together several simple queries based off of one database. I have one search criteria set and in the general properties I have switched unique values to "yes". When I do this, I am unable to enter any information into the qury fields. When I switch unique values to "no", I am able to enter information. Some of the quries are quite long, and I would rather not manually delete the duplicate records. Is there a way I can remove duplicate records and still enter info?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zmp View Post
    I have put together several simple queries based off of one database. I have one search criteria set and in the general properties I have switched unique values to "yes". When I do this, I am unable to enter any information into the qury fields. When I switch unique values to "no", I am able to enter information. Some of the quries are quite long, and I would rather not manually delete the duplicate records. Is there a way I can remove duplicate records and still enter info?
    This doesn't sound like it would make sense, because if you suppress records with duplicate values, how do you know which one you are going to update? I presume this is why Access would make the query non-updateable! Should you not remove the duplicate data from your database first?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you have to turn Unique Values off. You might want to even turn-on Unique Records. Basically, Access has no way of knowing which record is represented in your query. For example, suppose I did a query on my customer table which returns a single field, City. I might have 1000 customers, but they may be in only 5 cities; so I get 5 records returned in my query (if Unique Values is ON).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.