Thanks

Question Dual boot Xp and Windows 7

Since i already have XP installed i wanted to use Windows 7 on a new internal HDD i'm planning to purchase...

how much blood, sweat, and tears does this entail?

Thanks
    bprime, welcome to the Lounge.

Depends on how many apps you wish to install. Insert the Win 7 DVD, choose Custom install when given the choice of Upgrade or Custom install and point to the empty drive. It should show as unallocated space I believe. Be sure you do not point to the XP drive or Win 7 will overwrite Win XP. If your DVD includes SP1 you will be much further ahead in the process.

When you install Win 7 it will load a new MBR that will allow you to boot into whichever OS you want.

I would first run the Win 7 Upgrade advisor to see if there will be any problems installing Win 7. You might also wish to have Win 7 drivers available for any devices (printers, web cams, etc.) Win 7 should have default drivers for most of your internal devices (graphics, audio, etc.)

Once you have Win 7 installed, choose a good AV/Am app to install. You will also most likely have a bunch of updates to install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Ken Kashmarek
    I have a 6 year old HP workstation that came with WinXP 32-bit professional (and all the vendor crapware).

The time was ripe for Win7, since I had already bypassed the vendor supplied free copy of Vista (based on reports of how bad Vista was).

I acquired Win7 Home Premium (full install package including 32-bit and 64-bit CDs), installed as 32-bit on a separate disk drive by booting the install CD, and come up with a dual boot WinXP + Win7 system. I also updated the boot.ini file to default boot into Win7. Before the install, memory was added to bring the node up to 3 gig (from 1 gig).

One more step taken: add Win8 RP to the above mix.

Again, as before, another separate disk drive was used for this install (also 32-bit), and the system came up with the Win8 multi-boot interface. I adjusted that to again set Win7 as the default, and it resorts to booting into the Win7 text interface, but I can also select Win8, or older operating system (which is my WinXP drive; configuration is WinXP on the 250 gig drive, Win7 on a 74 gig drive, and Win8 RP on a 74 gig drive).

I would think this is almost a no-brainer operation. However, I did use separate disk drives (not partitions on the same drive). It increases the complexity of the configuration as the boot drives are now dependencies so when you take certain types of backups, the process may include all drives (depending on your backup software and the ability of said software to configure drives into or out of the backup).

Thanks
    The installation of each version of Windows seems to be easier than the last version. Some people, when using independent HD's, actually plug in the new HD, disconnect the original HD and keep the 2 OS's totally separate. In my case that's not possible because I'm working on a laptop with one HD, so I have to partition. But even with partitioning it's quite easy to do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Ken Kashmarek
    One cautionary note: when this type of install is done (boot from the install media), the installer asks where you want to install the software, AFTER it makes a pass at the exiting system and identifies potential versions to upgrade. In the past, one had to run a migratation utility to move your stuff (from the Document and Settings folder or the Users folder) to some location where it could later be imported into the new system. From the recent installs, it seems that some stuff is imported automatically. In particular, when I installed the 64-bit version of Win8 RP, I think some stuff crept over to that drive from the normal bootable drive.

By the way, I inherited an older laptop with Vista installed. I have shrunk that hard drive partition down by 42 gig (using Disk Manager), created a new empty partition of 42 gig, and installed Win7 64-bit in that partition. The dual boot arrangement came up just fine but I left the Win7 partition as the default as I want to use the Vista partition ONLY WHEN NECESSARY (the original partition still holds all the data).