New Lounger
    Thanks

Subfolder on external drive as backup location?

There doesn't seem to be any way of specifying a subfolder on an external hard drive as a backup location - the list of backup destinations presented to me only includes top-level locations, e.g. LaCie (G:). Am I missing something, or is this really not possible?

Incidentally I've already discovered that I can't make an image of my complete hard drive using Windows Backup because Dell has set up a recovery partition formatted as FAT32.

So looks like a third-party utility is required if I want to do anything more than very basic backup.
    Kay

Thanks
    Kay, Welcome to the Lounge.

On my Ext HD in Windows Explorer if I double click the upper level folder it opens all the other lower level folders and so on down the line. I have set up subfolders for 3 different PC Images and separate sub folders for my data backups.

If you are using Imaging for your backup (a great choice), the recovery partition is not actually necessary to save yourself. In my laptops I deleted the recovery partitions, then used a 3rd party app such as Partition Wizard to resize the C Drive to include the unallocated space created when the Recovery Partition was deleted. In my opinion I wanted to use this valuable disk space for something more important. As I state, this is my opinion. Others advocate keeping this Recovery Partition in case you wish to sell the PC, you can install the factory OS. My opinion is this is a waste of this space if you have Imaging.

There is great info in the Maintenance forum on Imaging. Take a look.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome Medico, there's obviously a wealth of knowledge to be found in the Lounge!

It does rather look as if imaging is the simplest solution. It also appears to be faster - when I ran a complete image backup to my (USB 3.0) external drive using Macrium Reflect (including the FAT32 partition!), it completed 87 GB in about half an hour, which was quicker than a much less comprehensive Windows file backup.

I still find it extremely odd though that Windows Backup does not allow me to select a specific location for a file backup. Presumably, if I ever bother running it again, since I can't stipulate a different subfolder, it will simply copy over the existing backup files, so a traditional grandfather-father-son routine is impossible.

Thanks
    I have always found the Win 7 Imaging and Backup app very basic. As such I have had much better experience with a 3rd party app (In my case Acronis TIH). I think you will find that even with Macrium Reflect, you will see many more features from the paid version. If your needs are just Imaging and Restoration then the free version could be fine, but if you want to do some more advanced stuff then the paid version will be more complete. See the version comparisons here.

Also, I believe Macrium Reflect (as does Acronis) images only used space unless you choose to do a sector by sector Image. This is a real size saver.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    That is indeed the way the Windows backup works. When you specify a given drive as the target the first time, it creates a folder in the root directory with an 11 hex char string as a name which has access restricted to administrator. Then the catalog and data info for that and all subsequent backups is updated into that folder.

This means there is only one folder destination on the drive for all backups; you choose which to restore from using the restore dialog.

As far as I can tell, the Win 7 backup does little or no compression, so backups use a lot of space. As usual with Windows backup, the backups are incompatible with other backup programs or even with other versions of Windows backup; a concern when upgrading in particular.

I took Medico's advice some time ago and went with Macrium Reflect pro instead and have not regretted it: very quick, efficient and easy to use.

Jock