3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run Security Essentials with Task Scheduler

In Newsletter 355, Fred Langa recommended "I use Windows' Task Scheduler to set up a full, weekly MSE Scan". I have looked at the scheduler, but cannot figure how to tell it whether I want a Quick, Full, or Custom Scan? What's the trick here?
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Assuming you are running the latest version of MSE and on Windows 7...Create a scheduled task to execute the following:

Program: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe"
    Arguments: -Scan -ScanType 1
    for a quick scan

Program: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe"
    Arguments: -Scan -ScanType 2
    for a full scan

see below:

schedule MSE scan.JPG
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

dpollock (2012-09-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the command line arguments. Will try this
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Thanks
    I just use the scheduling available in MSE itself.

MSE Scheduler.PNG

And it works quite well.

MSE History.PNG
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's right bbearren; but I think the article referred to suggests running a daily quick scan and a weekly full scan as part of a fine-toothed comb process. The daily scan is setup as you indicate, but Task Scheduler is required to add the additional weekly full scan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    That's right bbearren; but I think the article referred to suggests running a daily quick scan and a weekly full scan as part of a fine-toothed comb process. The daily scan is setup as you indicate, but Task Scheduler is required to add the additional weekly full scan.
    If you'll look at my images closely, you'll see that the scan I have set up is a weekly full scan, not a daily quick scan. And I can also confirm from experience that the scan does indeed run every Sunday about 1:00 AM as scheduled. I don't have to re-schedule it every week, and it doesn't require Task Scheduler.

I could use Task Scheduler to run a daily quick scan, but I personally don't feel the need. Malware is only going to get to my PC through the internet or email, and MSE automatically scans internet traffic very unobtrusively in the background, and I delete any and all suspicious emails without opening them.

For those who do wish to automate a daily quick scan, your command line instructions are excellent. I do use Task Scheduler to empty the trash and defrag my drives.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think we may have a crossed wire.

The Windows Secrets Newsletter article the OP referred to in his post recommended using MSE to execute both a scheduled daily quick scan and and a scheduled weekly full scan.

The MSE user interface has no mechanism to schedule both types of scan - it's either one or the other. The Newsletter suggested using Task Scheduler to enable the second scan, but sadly gave no details about how to do it. That was the source of the OP's question and the purpose of the Task Scheduler illustration I gave.

As it turns out, like you, I don't subscribe to that dual process. My workstation runs 24/7 and executes a full MSE scan every night (using the MSE user interface scheduler) alongside my backups and cleanup processes.