Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autologon problem

I have a strange problem. I have setup a number of different computers (WIndows XP)for the public library. I setup autoadmin logon for our public user with the domain and the username and password and also user a different shell. I reboot and it works fine. I export that key just in case I need to redo it for some reason.

On one computer when I run the exported key it may or may not autologon the first time, but after that it is trying to login jfrasier to the local computer which doesn't work because it is trying to use public's password. Then when I check the registry I see that the winlogon key has been changed to use my logon and password. Other than that key, my logon (jfrasier) appears nowhere in the registry, does not have a user profile on this computer and I don't even think that I ever logged into it, although I may have once to test something.

Since the problem seemed to revolve around the winlogon registry key I copied and ran the key from another computer that works fine. Now I can't do anything with my problem one. It wants jfrasier to logon and just keeps looping that screen. Odd thing is that I can't logon as jfrasier with the password that is in that changed registry key.

I thought maybe it was a cached credential but when I ran rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr no logons were listed.

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks.

Jane

Thanks
    Hi Jane,
    One of these methods will work for you. Auto Log-On.docx
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Using SysInternals AutoLogon will solve that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This did not work. I DO want a user named 'public' to logon automatically and I set that up in the registry. The user that keeps coming up in the logon box is not a user and does not appear in the user accounts.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Guys the most advanced autologon tool is Logonexpert it encrypts password, has scheduller and computer sleep\wake-up features
    Last edited by taho; 2012-10-12 at 15:02. Reason: mistypo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At that point I would try booting to safemode/admin, deleting all other users. and creating a new one. There's something odd going on, and you could spend a lot of time hunting it down.