Thread: Black Screen

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Black Screen

I started having mouse and keyboard problems with my Intel desk top computer Its a Intel 945 PWM motherboard. I lost the on board Audio months ago. I thought at first that a stick of ram had gone bad so I took one stick out and booted the computer. Everything worked fine. Shut down the computer and took out the stick that worked and replaced it with the one I thought may be bad and hit the power button and got a black screen, everything seamed to power up except the monitor, Black screen. Powered down, took out the stick of ram and replaced it with the other stick of ram I thought was good and hit the power button. Black screen again with everything else powering up. The light for the HDD shows the HDD is working, the light for the DVD burner has power although I could not get it to open when I pushed the button and all the fans are running (6)2 in the PSU and three in the case and the CPU cooler fan) Powered down and hooked the laptop to the monitor, it worked fine. No Beeps from the motherboard.
    Dual boot system Windows 7 and XP
    2 Gh of Kingston ram DDR 2 240 pin
    CPU is a Intel 945 D dual core chip (it always has run hot 45c to 55c) but does not smell like its fried.
    HDD Western D. 500 Gh
    Is it time for a new motherboard ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible capacitor problem

Not sure if it's the motherboard but one indication that it might be failing is to check all your capacitors to see if any have swollen heads or are leaking. Good luck!

Rich

Thanks

Take it step-by-step

I am assuming you did not see a power up screen so you were unable to get to the BIOS. An overall mobo inspection as rmonroe describes can rule out the obvious.
    Several things I would do here:
    1. Thorough cleaning with compressed air.
    2. Note the sequence of any flashing lights during post. Visit your motherboards manufacturer to see if there are post codes other than beeps
    3. Reseat all components. Since you didn't mention a graphics card, I am assuming your graphics is integrated
    4. Reset the BIOS. Unplug and then remove the CMOS battery. Hold the power button down for at least 5 sec. Replace the battery, plug-in and attempt reboot
    5. Reset the BIOS by changing the jumper settings. You will need to refer to your motherboard documentation to do this.
    6. Check for any loose connections especially the 4 pin motherboard power connector and the 20/24 pin motherboard connector. Reseat them and all other connections.
    7. Just because the PSU appears to be running, it may not be putting out the needed power requirements. If you have a spare PSU, try temorparily connecting it to see if that solves it or purchase a $14 PSU tester from Newegg.com.
    8. remove any additional add-in cards (modem, USB, controller cards, etc) or additional hard drives. Disconnect your CD/DVD. They may be shorted or strain aa already failing PSU
    9. If you have access to a graphics card, install it to see if you have anything on boot up. Don't forget to plug your monitor into the video card's port instead of the mobo. This will indicate that your integrated graphics chip may be fried. You do not need to load any drivers to test this. your motherboard should be set to detect it (hopefully)
    10. This could be a RAM issue but you said you have removed each stick separately and replaced them one at a time and alternated. What are the chances that both may have failed? If you can borrow a known working RAM stick from another source, replace it and see if it works
    11. Reseat your CPU and CPU cooler. The CPU can heat pretty quickly during boot up (This would be my last ditch effort)

My thoughts: Since the HDD appears to be loading the system and the mother board does not seem to be posting any problems, it sure sounds like your problem is with your graphics. You ruled out a monitor problem using your laptop. This would be a great time to upgrade your graphics and free up some of your shared system RAM for much improved performance. If you are limited to PCI and not PCI-E or if you mother board has failed, it is most likely time for a new computer.

HTH,
    Maud

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rich: One of the things I looked at as I pulled the stick of ram out the motherboard was caps, None swollen.
    Maud: When I get time tomorrow I will pull the New Asus Graphics card and put in My wifes MSI Just to make sure it is working. I reset the BIOS after each stick of ram was removed. I can hear the WD 500 HDD spin up. When I plug in the lan that light comes on. I also have an extra HDD that I plugged in and And I can feel it spin up so I don't think the PSU is the problem. Just pulled the HDD out of the Intel computer and plugged it into a usb port on my wife's computer the MSI found it and it is fine. I will also take a look at the 24/20 pin connector. That wire is in the way of getting to the ram. Thanks guy for the help. `

Thanks
    Pops,
    I am gathering that you have installed a new Asus graphics card. Important piece of information Was this to replace integrated graphics? I will make that assumption unless you inform otherwise. Again, I must point out that just because lights are lit and the hard drive is spinning does not mean that your PSU is supplying the power your graphics card needs. They use only a fraction of what a graphics card uses. Since you have an old Pentium D Dual core processor which happens to be power hungry itself, your computer is somewhat aged and most likely equipped with an underpowered PSU. That's the way manufacturers skimped by on price and that's all they needed. Bargain computers are not componently designed to be upgraded. Not saying your computer is a bargain device but if it is and you throw in a graphics card then a stock 350W PSU can no longer handle the load especially when it is old. What is the max wattage of yours? You should have at least a 450W. Underpowering your system may ruin all your components, so be sure.

Still think the problem is with your graphics not functioning properly......card vs power to the card. Try running the integrated graphics without the card installed. As far as the other issues you are experiencing (audio, mouse, and keyboard), could the cause be an underpowered mobo as well? If these have failed prior to installing your graphics card, you PSU may have already been giving you a heads up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After working on this for week and trying to test everything I could I remembered that if I unplugged the power to the computer I had to reset the calender and clock. What does that tell me? Cmos battery is dying or dead. Replaced CMOS battery and everything took off. I'm back up and running. Thanks guys for all your help

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pops1944 For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2012-10-11)

Thanks
    And thank you, Pops, for posting the solution. Sometimes it's the simplest thing...
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Funny things are now going on spider solitaire don't work any more any ideas to fix it.