Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus disabled or removed: services and Windows update

Hello. Several months back, another user on my computer accidentally clicked on what they thought was an update to Adobe and released a payload that severely crippled my system. I managed to reinstall and get Malware Bytes to run and clean most of the infection along with MSE. after I got everything running again, I ran several tests and scans and for the most part it seemed to be in a "clean" state. Well, I went to check on my firewall recently and saw that it had been disabled. I did "everything" well, close to fixing it but the BITS services is gone and some registry keys are missing or renamed. And no, I hadn't made a system image prior to this although I had backed up important user files. I also don't have the Win7 system disk being that I bought this computer at a retail store, so I'm going to have to go out and buy an upgrade copy of W7 and start over. I'm really surprised how slick these scripts are getting, just when you think about going in the back way for example, they had all ready disabled it. Is there a way to get this installation running to where it can be updated? Or just go and start from scratch?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Do you have a valid Windows license key? If you do, you can download a valid Windows ISO and write it to DVD:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2012-09-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I went ahead and did that and worked great! Whatever the virus did, it was too embedded in the OS to clean.

Thanks
    You should also look into building an appropriate backup regimen into your setup that includes a bootable recovery disk.
    Having to spend time to reinstal the OS, or even attempt a futile malware/virus cleaning, is in many instances a waste of time.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2012-09-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad it's solved

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2012-09-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I do make periodical backups, and I had heard about making a Win 7 installation disc so thanks again for helping me there. Last night after I created the disc and installed and transferred all my data, I was installing some drivers and I open and closed the DVD drive tray while it was updating or something like that, and when I rebooted right after the BIOS screen it came on saying "A disk error has occurred" I knew it wasn't a crash, but the MBR had become corrupted so I went into recovery mode and tried to fix it and ended up doing a system restore before install the drivers and to be honest, I don't know exactly when I did but it somehow booted normally the next time around and has been fine since. I have a couple Linux boxes nearby so that helped me get online and check. Thanks again for the great advice!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You should also look into building an appropriate backup regimen into your setup that includes a bootable recovery disk.
    Having to spend time to reinstal the OS, or even attempt a futile malware/virus cleaning, is in many instances a waste of time.
    Very good advice. As per my reply to ruirib I do backup, but not as much as I should. I realised after I had reformatted that I forgot to back up my email! But I had a back up from June of this year, but I still should do as you mention and be more on top of it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Imaging is probably the most important backup strategy you can use. Although there are free options, I have been an Acronis True Image user and although some of their recent versions left a bit to be desired, the latest one, True Image 2013 works great.

Thanks
    Look at my signature to see what I think!

I also have used Acronis in various versions, 2010, 2011 and now Acronis TIH 2013. I find the 2013 version easy to use, and it will work with Images created by earlier versions.

I will add another caveat as well. When you change things on your PC, make a new Image. I recreate Images at least once per month right after patch Tuesday. This way I always have up to date images. What happens when you create an Image today, then 8 or 9 months from now something bad happens. How many updates have been made? How many new apps have you added? what other changes have been made? Now imagine having to redo ALL those changes after you restore your Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it the same?

The image program that comes in Windows basically does that same thing Acronis and others do, right? I went ahead and also used the regular backup function as well along with making an image last night. So I can extract files if needed as opposed to dealing with the image file.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Acronis also allows access to individual files.
    Per the support we provide here, I would say Acronis is a bit more reliable than the Windows 7 native backup. Of course, if the Windows 7 backup works for you, stay with it .

Thanks
    The Imaging app included with Win 7 is very basic. You do not get to choose a compression level. There have been significant problems reported with making new Images when your PC changes. I have read about problems choosing where an Image is stored and problems with accessing the Image when it's needed.

With Acronis, you create a Rescue Disk which when booted to loads Acronis to allow creation and restoration of Images. If the PC will not boot, this Rescue Disk is used to boot to Acronis and restore the Image. I do not know if thw same is available in the Win 7 app. If Windows will boot, it might work.

What happens with the Win 7 app if the HD dies? I can use Acronis to load my OS to a different HD. I can also clone a new HD with Acronis. I can access my Image file and get anything I need out of the Image. I do not believe this is possible with the Win 7 app.

Have you actually tried to restore the Image you created using the Win 7 app? Every time I create an Image, I then turn around and restore that Image. This does 2 things:
    1) It guarantees the restoration will work when needed
    2) When you restore an Image the partition/drive is formatted before the Image is restored. Assuming you cleaned up and defragged before you created the Image, this is the ultimate defrag of your drive.

I can include any or all partitions on my HD in a single Image, then restore any or all partitions, whichever I choose. For example my Image includes my Win 7, Win 8 and data drives. I can choose to restore any of the 2 Images.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-25 at 10:00.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2012-09-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I backup my image and the other data from the regular backup utility on an external drive. I didn't go through the steps you mention though. Although it's a great idea, I have enough of my data backed up redunantly that I don't feel I need to go through those steps to make sure it's safe. Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Thanks
    One more advantage of third-party backup programs over Windows built-in backup is the ability to fix the MBR from the backup archive, if the option to include the MBR with the archive was selected at the time the backup was created. Macrium Reflect free or paid will do this if asked. That's how I got my Windows XP laptop back up and running after a Restore operation left it unbootable. I lost my Boot Manager (BootMagic) but that was easily restored for dual-booting with Linux.

Since some viruses can infect the MBR, MBR restoration is a good idea when cleaning up an infection.

Both Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware (and Avast) all have a limited ability to restore critical Windows System Files and Services and Registry Keys after a virus cleanup. The Tools Tab in Malwarebytes might have allowed limited recovery of Windows Updates and BITS, as well as some browser functions. Avast Free can build up quite an impressive local library of backup files and keys in case you need to restore them later, as in your case.

But these programs will not restore a damaged MBR. Only a Backup Program can do that. (Or, the Windows Repair Console, found on the Windows 7 Install Disk or the System Recovery Disk you can burn.)
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-09-28 at 07:27.
    -- Bob Primak --

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2012-09-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Now, of course I understand what you mean by restoring the image after creating it, but specifically how do you do it, as far as do you imediatly restore it to a blank drive? If so, and the image is bad, then what do you do? I totally see the point in what you're saying about verifying but I'm assuming you are restoring to a seperate drive or partition?

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post

Have you actually tried to restore the Image you created using the Win 7 app? Every time I create an Image, I then turn around and restore that Image. This does 2 things:
    1) It guarantees the restoration will work when needed
    2) When you restore an Image the partition/drive is formatted before the Image is restored. Assuming you cleaned up and defragged before you created the Image, this is the ultimate defrag of your drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast