New Lounger
    Thanks

Questions about losing and/or corrupt profile

I am running a new HP pavilion i7 desktop at home, about three months old. Until a few days ago it ran fine.

A few days ago I started it up and instead of the normal startup I got 'Preparing Your Desktop' and a very long boot time. Most of the icons were gone, the desktop had changed and there was a message saying I had been logged in with a temp profile and anything I saved would not be saved once logged out. There was a nag screen for my Brother printer, asking me if I wanted to set it for automatic search for firmware updates.

I clicked the printer screen away and rebooted. It booted up normally. So far so good.

A few days later I got the same event and it booted up OK on the second try. Several times it did this over a few days.

I searched for profile issues and found that Win 7 is famous for losing track of user profile settings. I found a regedit fix whereby I deleted the current SID and brought back the .bak SID. That did not work. There was another fix suggesting I set up another profile and copy everything in the original profile to that. I started to do that until I realised there was nearly 200 gB of docs,music,video to copy over and duplicate in the second profile so I went no further with that one.

I spent about ten hours yesterday trying to get it to start up normally with more reboots than I can remember.

I found another suggested fix in checking startup programs. In there I found the brother printer firmware app so I disabled it. I rebooted and it worked OK again. So I thought I'd got the offender at last.

This morning I started it up and it was back to the temp profile fault so I turned it off. This afternoon I turned it on and it's working OK again so here I am.

I have checked the event log and there are profile service errors there telling me that it could not access the profile because it was in use by another program. But the only stuff running is Win 7 stuff.

Here are my questions.
    1. Most of the problems and suggestions I have found come from forum posts from 2010 or 2011. I can't find any recent complainants or responses. Does this mean there has been a fix somewhere and I have not yet found it?

2. Does anybody know what the real cause of this problem is, or does anybody know the final fix? I have spent many hours on this so far and my patience is wearing a bit thin.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not sure if there's anything new here, but this guide has been updated recently: How to Fix Temporary Profile in Windows 7

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link, Bruce. It looks very much like others I've found and followed but still no result. Earlier this evening I tried it again and the computer took a very long time to get past the Welcome screen with the revolving circle and logged me in automatically to the administrator account without asking for a password. I found that it had deleted everything from my user account - over 200 gigs of data. The hdd was left with about 60 gig of programs.

I found an earlier export of the registry profile keys so I restored that and it gave me my profile back. I don't know if this is a real fix or just another fluke.

So I am currently on my netbook while the desktop restores all my data back to my user profile from the external backup drive.

Considering countless people have obviously had this problem for years I'm surprised MS hasn't ruggedized their startup against it happening.