5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Kaspersky conflicts

I have Kaspersky Pure 2 and Kaspersky AV 2013 (and for that matter Kaspersky Mobile Security) and on installation there have been messages to uninstall incompatible software, specifically Spybot and in at least one case, Malwarebytes. Does anyone know whether they are temporary installation incompatibilites or permanent? I recall getting the message with the more recent version of Malwarebytes and it appears that the long-awaited release of Spybot 2 is imminent, and newer versions may change the game.

It appears to mean that Kaspersky already has the territory covered, but maybe not.

Thanks
    Spybot and Malwarebytes are not AV apps.

What you might try is to temporarily uninstall both while installing Kaspersky, then reinstall them. I have Spybot set up to scan manually. I did not install the Tea Timer portion. I do have MalwareBytes Pro running full time in the background. I'm presently using AVG 2013 AV free (not the suite) and have no conflicts

Everything I have read does not indicate any conflicts between Spybot or MalwareBytes with ANY AV app. If you have a problem with Kaspersky, perhaps it's time to try a different AV.

A multi-layered approach to security is a great idea. A good AV app and good AM scanners, along with a good S/W firewall, and perhaps a good H/W forewall in a router, along with good computing habits.

No single AV/AM app will catch everything. That's why MalwareBytes is designed to "play" nicely with all AV apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    So, the fact that some viruses are harder to detect means you should give up on detecting all the others?

Thanks
    No security app is 100% successful, that's why we strongly recommend the multi-layered approach.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-26 at 12:03.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Everybody knows you can't get full protection from malware. Using a multiple layer strategy, however, you can diminish risks.
    One thing that is based on actual statistics is that most infections are caused by known malware or malware exploiting vulnerabilities that have been known and patched for a long time. This means a decent AV and a decent patching strategy can protect you against common infections. That's why using a good AV is a recommended security measure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is now (sort of) resolved. As reported above, both Kaspersky Pure 2 and Kaspersky AV 2013 instructed me on installation to uninstall both Malwarebytes and Spybot because they were incompatible. These were (and probably still are) the latest versions, and so it was at least plausible that there might be an incompatibility, and I first posted here to 'ask around'.

I couldn't seem to get an answer from Kaspersky, but I did reply to the question Spybot throws at you on uninstallation as to why you are uninstalling it, and by that means reported it to them. On a subsequent uninstall, I noted that Spybot explicitly asked (in the list of questions) if the uninstallation was because Kaspersky had instructed it, and they had quite a bit to say on the subject. With a more recent re-installation there is a (possibly familiar) caution from Malwarebytes that according to the antispyware coalitions definition Kaskpersky and other could be considered spyware and or PUPS etc.

Anyway, the original message was from Kaspersky, and the others are giving Kasp heck for it. It was a nuisance, especially given that I had licences for Malwarebytes. No conflict is the consensus.