Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Method to hide the Charms Bar

I found this in another Forum. Many have asked how to do this:

For those (of us) that want to stay on the old familiar Desktop when using Win-8, having the charms bar pop up when we touch the right corners of the screen, is just not acceptable.
    Here's a fix that removes that activity.

How to disable the Edge UI panels aka Charms Bar and Switcher in Windows 8
    1. Open Registry Editor (press Win+R, type regedit.exe in Run dialog and press Enter) and go to key
    2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\ImmersiveShell
    3. Create here a new key “EdgeUI“.
    4. Select the EdgeUI key in the left pane and create two new DWORD values in the right pane of Registry Editor.
    ⦁ DisableTLcorner – stands for “Disable Top-Left corner”. Set it to 1, and Switcher will not appear when you move your mouse to the top-left corner of the screen. Note that it will still appear if you move the pointer to the bottom-left corner and then move it upwards along the left edge of the screen.
    ⦁ DisableCharmsHint – Set it to 1 to disable the Charms bar when using the mouse. It will not appear when you move the pointer to the top-right or bottom-rights corners. But as above, if you move the pointer to the top-right corner and then move it down along the right edge of the screen (or from the bottom-right corner up to the screen center along the right edge), it’ll appear again.
    http://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/u...y_settings.png

both settings prevent the Edge UI panels from appearing accidentally. They will take effect immediately - you do not need to restart Windows Explorer or log off. You will still be able to show them when you actually want to use them.
    If you want to enable the default behavior of Switcher, simply set DisableTLcorner value to 0 or delete it. Same goes for DisableCharmsHint value – set it to 0 or delete it to enable the Charms Bar popup.
    For those who prefer ready-made registry files:
    Download Edge UI Tweaks, found here:
    http://winaero.com/blog/wp-content/u.../08/edgeui.zip

Now we can enjoy our Desktop in peace.
    Very Cool!. The Charms Bar is still available, but does not pop up until you actually put your cursor in the Top, Right or Bottom Right corner and slide it along the right edge, then Charms pops up. Gives a way to not have Charms pop up when you do not want it, but still have it easily available when you wish to use it. This is a hack many were asking for.

This does work with my Win 8 Ent. Eval. edition. I used the automatic Registry option and it worked like a charm.

Thanks DrWho
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-10-02 at 13:07.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Lot's of views but no comments. Hmmm, must be everyone is using Classic Shell to kill the corner hotspots. This effectively hides the Charms Bar until you need it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Nope. I just use the charms bar, see no issues with it. It is quite easy to pull when using touch (my tablet is touch enabled). So, I have no reasons at all to kill it. I haven't added anything to bring back the Start menu, either. The absence can be a bit annoying, at times, but nothing that cannot be overcome.

Thanks
    This does not kill it, just stops it from popping up until you want to use it. Early on many users were complaining that the Charms Bar was distracting when they accidentally hit the right side of the screen while, i.e., playing games. This just prevents it from popping up, although it's still there. When you want it just put your cursor (or finger) in one of the right corners and move it up or down the edge and the Charms Bar will pop up. It just does not pop up when you accidentally hit the right side or one of the right corners.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Ok . I don't have the need for that, either .

Thanks
    You would really appreciate it, if you had a standard Desktop Computer, like 90+% of the world.
    Nothing can be more disconcerting than have something pop up on your screen when you least expect it, and certainly don't want it.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I have a conventional PC & monitor and the Charms Bar doesn't bother me a bit. It only appears if & when I ask it to or want something of it. Same is true for other parts of Windows8. When I want something that's when I see it. Ergo, since no problem, no need for hacks. But, thanks anyway I find call for the CB is rare & if I do miss & hit it accidently & my Taskbar is @ the same location, right side, well I just move the mouse an iota, the CB disappears & I carry on, no big deal. But, thanks, anyway, me, my standard Desktop PC (like that 90%) & quite 'pure' Windows8 are doing very nicely together, as is. I will admit, I do, still, keep an Applications folder on my Taskbar...just saves my going to WinQ for things... same as I access whatever w/out changing from Desktop to Start... I just prefer staying on 1 screen since it's possible, convenient & efficient both in actions & time. Oh, I do, still, have the Power options menu via Desktop Rt Clk but, since Power is easily accessible via the CB, I may not bother w/ that 1 anymore once I install the Windows8 Pro Full version I'm receiving shortly after Oct. 26th.

Just as an aside, here's how I've come to like displaying that Applications folder; in alphabetical order, just scroll up & down for whatever is wanted @ anytime. Works for me & I like it & I guess that's all that matters.... others will have or develop their 'own' ways.
    CaptureApps.JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-09-26 at 01:57.

Thanks
    When we first started using Win 8 and up to and including recently I have read complaints of the Charms Bar popping up expectantly, especially in a gaming or power user environment.

This is just another tool in the customization toolbox. It does NOT turn the Charms Bar off, as the Classic Shell does. It is still there, it just does not pop out unless you perform a specific function, that is place your cursor (or finger) in one of the corners and slide along the edge. It then pops up as expected. Many were asking why it could not be made to stay hidden until needed. Well now it can be.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It all depends on your mousing activity. I frequently triggered the charms bar when I didn't want it and found it touchy to trigger when I wanted it until I turned it off with classic shell. I use Windows key + C to invoke it for the rare times I need it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Maybe I'm having a stupid moment but, that sounds like how it, already, works... when I touch its corners it pops out, otherwise it's hidden. So, guess I can just leave things as they are. For those rare times, like Jerry, WinC works just fine for me, as well. But, again, thanks, anyway.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    What I'm saying is that many complaints were stated because people did not want it to pop up when they went to the corner, for example during gaming, or checking the date, or viewing the desktop. The Charms Bar was popping up unexpectedly. With this change, just putting your cursor (finger) in the corner will not activate the Charms Bar. You have to place your cursor (finger) there, then swipe upward (or downward) along the edge to activate Charms. It does not activate until you wish it to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I see, ok, fair enough, understood. Thanks, Ted. I'm sure gamers will appreciate this, then.

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I used to activate the charms bar when I moved the mouse to the red X to close a window. Happened quite often and was very irritating.

Jerry

Thanks
    Those are the types of things that this will help prevent. It's not disabled just hidden a little better. It seems gamers were constantly complaining. Like any other thing, you eventually grow to tolerate it. I can hear the complaints now when Win 8 is officially released, first about Start, second about Charms.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I can see the point; personally I avoided it, I guess, by my windows not being right tight to the edge/corners. I used to bump into it a few times then just got used to where I was putting the mouse/cursor, just controlled my movements.. don't do it much anymore. But, I can see how this would be helpful.

Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-09-26 at 16:04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast