New Lounger
    Thanks

two people sharing one computer with office 2010 and office 2003

My wife and I share a Windows 7 computer. Each of us sign on to the computer under our own name.

We have one copy installed of Office 2003 and 2010 on the computer. Each time I open Word 2003, and then try to open Word 2010, 2010 first insists on "configuring" itself for about 30 seconds. Then when I open Word 2003, it insists on doing the same thing. Once 2003 is "configured" I can open it repeatedly without having to configure. But if I open 2010, it will then configure itself. And if I go back to 2003, it will then have to configure.

While this is a nuisance, I can live with it.

What is really driving me crazy is that the same problem is happening when my wife signs on, but her actions are affecting MY settings. For example, if I last used 2003, and she uses 2010, I then have to wait for 2003 to configure the next time I use it. Similarly, once I use 2003, she then has to wait for 2010 to configure itself.

If I stick with 2003, and she sticks with 2003, neither of us has to wait for any configuration. And if we each stick with 2010, neither of us has to wait for configuration.

But any time my wife launches one program and I launch the other, we are slowed by the configuration process. And vice versa.

Note that we are not logged in simultanenously. I login off, before she logs in, and vice versa.

I thought the whole point of having separate logins on a Win 7 computer was that each user could maitain his own individual settings, and not affect other users on the computer..

How do I solve this problem?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft has instructions, and warnings, on doing this.

Full instructions are found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447

Multiple versions of Word

If you have two versions of Microsoft Word installed on the same computer, you experience a delay when you start Word 2010. This behavior occurs because Word 2010 auto-registers itself on the computer.
    You can bypass the auto-registration. This enables Word 2010 to start faster. However, we do not recommend this because Word may not function correctly if it cannot auto-register itself.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to change the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you change the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you change it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows To bypass the auto-registration for Word 2010, follow these steps:

1.Exit Word 2010.
    2.Start Registry Editor.◦In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    ◦In Windows XP, click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK .

3.Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\W ord\Options

4.After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
    5.Type NoReReg , and then press ENTER.
    6.Right-click NoReReg , and then click Modify .
    7.In the Valuedata box, type 1, and then click OK .
    8.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Note In order to block the Repair (Re-Registration) in other versions of Microsoft Word, it will be necessary to create this registry key for each version. Replace the version number in the path with the appropriate version.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

garycahn (2012-09-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for your response. It was very helpful

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gary,

FWIW: I solved this problem on my laptop by setting it to dual boot. With 2 copies of Win 7 HP 64 Bit then install Office Pro 2010 on one instance and Office Pro 2003 on the other then just boot into the appropriate version. The data has been moved to a drive they both use so I don't have to worry about that. Since this computer has an SSD the boot time is not a real issue.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

garycahn (2012-09-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a very good idea that I hadn't thought about. Thanks for the tip.