Thanks

Files in the Cloud

I've just been looking at Skydrive, Dropbox and Google Drive. All have one thing in common and that is that your files to be synced have to be put in a particular folder. This seems to mean that all synced files are duplicated (in the app folder and in the original folder). I tried Ubuntu One and this had the same process. This seems wasteful of my disk space, so have I missed the point somewhere? I have tried using mklink (being on Win7) and this appears to work but is a bit clunky to set up (though using the /J option and copying files that way is less so). Is there a better way - I'm already backing up my files to an external drive.

The only other difference is the amount of space you get for free (I'm a tightwad ), ranging from 2Gb to 25Gb.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can also setup a new folder hierarchy within the SkyDrive folder (the only one I use) and keep the files just there. No need to keep duplicates. I don't like this arrangement, though.

Thanks
    I had wondered about that myself but like you, didn't like it. I plan on using Dropbox to just pass larger files to other people rather than emailing them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If emailing is your bigger problem, the new outlook.com allows you to use SkyDrive in a very simple way. You just attach the files as you normally would and they are loaded to your SkyDrive. Users receiving the email just download the files when they get the message.
    Works very well, no harder to do than if you'd be attaching from within your local email client.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2012-09-26)

Thanks
    I'll give SkyDrive a whirl then. It too has a desktop app for syncing, but it also has the largest free space - 25Gb. I have tried using mklink on my dropbox account and it works. This will mean no duplication and you don't need to put the relevant files in the dropbox folder - I assume that it works on Skydrive et al. Code is

mklink /J C:\Users\user\Dropbox\public\test "C:\Users\user\Pictures\directorywithsubdirectorys "

Even the subdirectories can be seen in dropbox. I'll try with SkyDrive.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2012-09-26)

Thanks
    Yes, that works on Skydrive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Nice trick .

Thanks
    I had SD installed on my 2 pc's, one day I downloaded a pdf from one pc and it could not be opened but the same pdf did on my other pc.
    SD has now been uninstalled but I can still access all my files from anywhere.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    access-mdb,

Thanks for the mklink info. I was working on getting the Samsung PC share software to work on my DVD/TV for viewing photos but it wouldn't link to my NAS {WD-NetCenter} drive I had to copy files to my computer for the application to share them to the DVD/TV. After setting up a symbolic link using the MKLINK command I can share directly form the NAS w/o copying the files. Thanks again!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks Mr Geek, my first thanks to a post of mine (way to go to catch up with you!).

It's a pity you can't set it up in Windows (as distinct from DOS), maybe MS will think of something. Now to write a script to do lots of links!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I had SD installed on my 2 pc's, one day I downloaded a pdf from one pc and it could not be opened but the same pdf did on my other pc.
    SD has now been uninstalled but I can still access all my files from anywhere.
    Hey Roderunner I had a similar problem with SkyDrive, although my problem was with two different SkyDrive accounts on one computer. What I was doing, was just switching accounts, not signing out. Once I signed out, and signed back in to the other account, .pdf file opened fine. Doesn't seem to matter on other documents.

You might give that a try. Sign out on the one computer and then sign in on the other.
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2012-09-27 at 11:47.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Hey Roderunner I had a similar problem with SkyDrive, although my problem was with two different SkyDrive accounts on one computer. What I was doing, was just switching accounts, not signing out. Once I signed out, and signed back in to the other account, .pdf file opened fine. Doesn't seem to matter on other documents.

You might give that a try. Sign out on the one computer and then sign in on the other.
    I only signed-in on one pc at anytime.
    I have 2 SD accounts both 25gb. My Hotmail is the most used and I can access the files on my live.co.uk by sharing them with my hotmail.com account.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I only signed-in on one pc at anytime.
    but did you sign out on the one computer, before signing in on the other? that's what worked here
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    but did you sign out on the one computer, before signing in on the other? that's what worked here
    When finished on any pc, it gets shutdown everytime.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

New kid on the block : Cubby

There's a new player in the file/folder sync game called Cubby. It's currently invitation only but i went to the website and got an invite within 2 - 3 days. It's from the people who make remote access software Log-me-in, so it has a bit of a pedigree. https://www.cubby.com/

It's very similar to dropbox in concept with a couple of advantages:

>> You can sync any folder, not just a pre-designated one like 'My Dropbox'. This answers the original poster's question about needing to duplicate files, and removes the need for symbolic links and the like.

>> The cloud space is similar to other offerings (5gb). But it offers *Unlimited* sync between devices which can be useful if you want to sync more than your free quota and don't need to access it all from the web.

>> They're currently offering 1GB per referral, which is the largest of any free service I know of.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by flippertie; 2012-10-05 at 08:50. Reason: spelling