Star Lounger
    Thanks

Double Boot with XP on SATA & Win7 on SSD

At present I have a double boot XP & Win7 system installed on the same 2TB SATAdrive. I am trying to speed my system by moving the Win7 (using Acronis) onto a Crucial 128 GB M4 SSD leaving the XP on the SATA disk. I assume that would have to ensure that the XP partition was still the active one. If after moving, the Win7 was not working I would try to rescue with a setup disk.

On the 2 or 3 times a year I run XP the SSD will be invisible to it so I assume that XP canít interfere with it.
    At present the BIOS is set to IDE (I am just removing an old IDE drive used only for data) and assume that I will have to change the BIOS setting to AHCE.
    I guess that I should not copy the MBR from the SATA to the SSD.

I have never used an SSD before so I assume that other than set up AHCE in BIOS, Win7 should handle the SSD correctly and not try defragmenting it.
    There seem to be three queries that I have.
    1.Will the double boot still work on separate drives (e.g. will there be MBR problems on the SSD)?
    2.Will the XP work with AHCI
    3.Can the XP cause problems with the SSD?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

Before doing anything I'd recommend you download EasyBCD and install it on both Partitions. You can then use this to fix the MBR and dual boot setup as necessary.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had installed it already BUT checked and updated it and was reminded that it will fix the mbr if required.

Thanks