New Lounger
    Thanks

change in homepage

when updating a software app, i ran through it too fast and inadvertantly clicked "accept" to change my homepage to a page i dont like or want. Now I cant change the page to original. I've been in the tools and internet options tab and use current page option but when I do this little tab pops up at the bottem of the page statting "an attempt to change homepage has been blocked."
    clicking on that doesn't even register a response!!! I'm sure I have a change in the registry but am unsure where and what to do now.
    I tell others that if you go too fast and not pay attention to what you're installing you'll end up with something you may not want or need.
    So here I am unsure what to do now. I know there are lots of you guys out there who can point me in the right direction to fix this.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mtbarbee; 2012-09-25 at 16:01.

Thanks
    First, remove your email address from your signature. Spammers are looking for email addresses all the time. It's never a good idea to advertise yours.

More info is needed. What is the S/W you were installing? What is the web page you are directed to? Is there any other info, error messages, etc. that may give hints to your problem?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Medico, thanks for replying so quickly. The s/w is a bit torrent client called vuze. I know, I know. Going to where I really shouldn't. But what's done is done. The page I'm directed to is their own search page with a bing search box. Really, a very uncluttered page. My next step was to remove vuze from my programs. That may do it. Just thinking out loud to myself while I type. I'll keep checking back to see what you think. Or anyone else.

Thanks
    I would start by downloading MalwareBytes Antimalware, reboot to safe mode and run a full scan to start. You could also try Spybot Search and Destroy or Super Antispyware, or perhaps all 3.

You have obviously gotten a spyware/malware/virus from the Torrent site which we always recommend staying away from. I will not go to the site to check it out.

Just reading the rest of your post, if anything is in Internet options, Manage add-ons and the uninstall list by all means uninstall, disable or delete them all. You could also use CCleaner to try to find leftovers of this junk on your PC, then run the Malware apps I mentioned above.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-25 at 16:56.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    You can try this fix:
    http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthr...homepage-in-IE

If this didn't work, try a System Restore to a date prior to the infection.
    I would also second running Malwarebytes as Ted suggested.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to all who replied. I mean it. System restore is such a simple tool to use and yet i can never remember that it's there for the using. It solved the problem and I have ran malwarebytes also without finding any baddies. Have I learned a lesson about bit torrents? probably not. I won't lie and tell you fine folks that I'm deleting it and will never use it again because I probably will. I use at my own risk. just glad you folks were there when I needed you. And I stand warned!

Thanks
    Glad to hear your problem is solved. System Restore is a nice tool in that it doesn't need any user intervention but I wouldn't rely on it exclusively. It doesn't always work and doesn't backup your data.

At a minimum I would have a data backup plan in place and ideally a plan to perform system image backups. This problem was just an inconvenience. In the last 3 months I've had two customers suffer complete disk failure without a data backup.

Jerry

Thanks
    You can see in my signature what I think!

I recreate my Image every month at least, right after patch Tuesday. This way I have an Up To Date Image when disaster strikes. My data is kept on a separate partition and backed up much more regularly than the OS.

Remember to keep back ups somewhere other than on your PC in case the HD fails. You don't want to loose the originals and the back ups at the same time. I commonly use an Ext. HD and another 2 PC's for back ups. This gives me redundancy in my back ups.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted