4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not in Attendance

I am using Access 2003 on Windows XP

I have an attendance list, for our Sunday School students. Attendance is spotty, with not every student there every Sunday. I am able to create a report showing which students were there on a particular day. How do I create a report that shows which students were NOT there on a Sunday? Thx.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I presume you have a students table and a students attendance table. Make a query that shows no students attendances records for students, this is a type of query you can select, the query wizard will guide you through it.
    You will end up with something like:
    SELECT * FROM Students as s LEFT JOIN StudentsAttendances as sa ON s.StudentID = sa.StudentID WHERE sa.StudentID Is Null
    That is just aircode, see what you think

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have to go with something like this if you are looking for a particular date:
    SELECT Students.StudentID, Students.NameofStudent
    FROM Students
    WHERE (((Students.StudentID) Not In (SELECT Students.StudentID FROM Students INNER JOIN StudentAttendances ON Students.StudentID = StudentAttendances.StudentID
    WHERE (((StudentAttendances.DateofAttend)=#9/8/2012#)))));

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Patt,

I tried the second suggestion, in a new query, and I keep getting a syntax error. Here is what I used, with my actual field names, (yes, I know it isn't wise to have a space in a table or field name. I first created this about 10 years ago. One of these days I am going to re-create it ). I also changed the date to one that I had included.

SELECT [Students.Student ID]
    FROM Students
    WHERE ((([Students.Student ID]) Not In (SELECT [Students.Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON [Students.Student ID] = [tblAttendance.Student ID]));
    WHERE (((tblAttendance.AttendanceDate)=#9/23/2012#))));

It is telling me that the error is in this section,
    SELECT [Students.Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON [Students.Student ID] = [tblAttendance.Student ID])

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You have:
    SELECT [Students.Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON [Students.Student ID] = [tblAttendance.Student ID])

Try this:
    SELECT Students.[Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON Students.[Student ID] = tblAttendance.[Student ID])

In you query:
    SELECT [Students.Student ID]
    FROM Students
    WHERE ((([Students.Student ID]) Not In (SELECT [Students.Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON [Students.Student ID] = [tblAttendance.Student ID]));

Try this:
    SELECT Students.[Student ID]
    FROM Students
    WHERE (((Students.[Student ID]) Not In (SELECT Students.[Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON Students.[Student ID] = tblAttendance.[Student ID]));

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Patt,

Thank you so much for sticking with this. It still doesn't quite work. When I tried to run it, I got another syntax error and it pointed to the semi-colon after the first WHERE statement. I tried deleting it and changing it to a comma and still got a syntax error. I removed it and the WHERE and replaced them with AND, then it ran, however I didn't get any results and I know I have some students that were not there on that date. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about that, delete that semicolon and see how you go.
    This is the select in my test database that works:
    SELECT Students.[Student ID], Students.NameofStudent
    FROM Students
    WHERE (((Students.[Student ID]) Not In (SELECT Students.[Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN StudentAttendances ON Students.[Student ID] = StudentAttendances.[Student ID]
    WHERE (((StudentAttendances.DateofAttend)=#9/8/2012#)))));
    Last edited by patt; 2012-09-27 at 18:21.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try this:

Code:
    SELECT Students.[Student ID]
    FROM Students
    WHERE Students.[Student ID] Not In (SELECT Students.[Student ID] FROM Students INNER JOIN tblAttendance ON Students.[Student ID] = tblAttendance.[Student ID]
    WHERE tblAttendance.AttendanceDate=#9/23/2012#)
    Access will only run a single SQL statement, so using a semicolon in Access doesn't make much sense, IMO.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Ruirib and Patt. It still took me a while to figure this out and get it to work. Using the SQL statement worked but I was getting hundreds of results, when I was only looking for 20 or so. I finally figured out what was going wrong, I was pulling from my Students table, which includes all students, past and present. What I did was, instead of using the Students table, I used qryActiveStudents and that solved it. I should have figured that out from the beginning but I still never would have gotten the structure right without your help. Thank you so much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It was Patt's solution, actually, I just tweaked a small detail, but I am glad you got it running .