4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

batch file/icon to disable/enable touchpad

I have a laptop with a touchpad that is used by someone who dislikes touchpads (me) and someone that likes touchpads (not me). Right now I have to type main.cpl in start box and have to enable/disable the touchpad. Is there a way to setup a batch file (with or without and icon) to do this more easily?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    I'm tempted to say No, because I'm not aware of any command line parameters which could be supplied to main.cpl.

It would have to be a program using appropriate Windows APIs, as would be the case for many such functions...

Autoit might be a possibility, but I haven't used it for ever so many years...
    Last edited by BATcher; 2012-09-26 at 09:43.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    J.E.

If you have a Dell and I assume you use an external pointing device when you turn off the touch pad?
    If so, the Dell Driver Disk contains a driver for the ALPS touch pad, it may be already loaded if not you can find it there.
    On the Task Bar use the up triangle icon in the Notifications Area and select the one for "Dell Touchpad".
    When the app opens select "Device Select" then check the checkbox to "Disable Touchpad / Pointing Stick when external USB mouse is present".
    Problem solved. If USB mouse attached (You) then touchpad and buttons are disabled, if NO USB mouse (not you) then the touchpad and buttons are enabled.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I use the ALPS applet on my E5420 laptop with a USB wireless mouse (the USB transceiver is tiny). If I switch off the mouse, the touchpad turns on - I don't have to actually unplug the USB transceiver.

To the OP, you can create a Mouse/Touchpad shortcut by going to Control Panel, right-click Mouse, and select Create shortcut. That will at least make it more readily available.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks to all. Went with creating mouse shortcut

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI.
    The manufacturer got back to me and FN+F9 enables/disables Touchpad on an ASUS.

Again thanks for your comments and help.

Thanks
    By far the easiest solution, where available!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...