5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Incognito-type browser modes not secure

LANGALIST PLUS

Incognito-type browser modes not secure

By Fred Langa

If you think your browser's anonymity mode lets you surf without leaving tracks, think again. "Incognito," "InPrivate Browsing," "Private Browsing," and similar modes leave numerous traces of your recent Internet activities on your PC and the Web.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/incognito-type-browser-modes-not-secure/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2012-10-03 at 14:14.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To protect your on PC environment, you would need to browse using a CD/DVD booted Linux OS and browser. Close second would be using a virtual envirnment which could be Windows or Linux, but which restores to a previous snapshot on every start.

If you combine the above with a VPN based anonymizer the latter should make it more difficult for ISP's to monitor browsing. BUT remember to not leave your footprint on sites visited!
    -paul, Down Under
    Photos

Thanks
    Or you can use the DoNotTrackPlus extension to make a lot of the personal trackers go away. Much easier learning curve than Linux.

I agree about the VPN Service, or at least a DNS Service like OpenDNS or Comodo DNS. However, note the limitations of even these measures, as stated in the article.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-09-28 at 09:25.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    On the subject of EMail clients to replace Thunderbird, I am having great success with the venerable old client Pegasus Mail. See this post and what follows between myself and Lounge member Kelliann1 for details about Pegasus Mail and why I like it as a robust local email client.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You write, "Gmail is attractive because it offers effortless, zero-configuration e-mail and calendar interoperability among my Android phone, tablet, and Windows desktop systems." For a moment my heart raced with anticipation at learning a secret code - but then I realized that by "Windows desktop systems" you did not NECESSARILY mean, "MS Outlook." I've been to syncdroid.net, and even (gladly) paid the money to get the full chart -- but still can't find a product that allows me to sync my Outlook 2010 and my Droid HTC Rezound both ways. Do have any secret hints to share?

Tks --