Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect Says Disk Not Valid

My friend 's OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

She has Macrium Reflect Standard Edition version 5.0.5154, and I have been making incremental backups for her using the xml files created by the program. The xml files are in her Documents folder, and the image files are on a USB attached external drive. There are 3 xml files and 3 sets of images, one each for her C and D drives and one for Windows Live Mail. All the images can be mounted and explored without any problem, and there is no problem creating up to date incremental images of the D drive or Windows Live Mail. However, when I tried to make an up to date incremental image of drive C Macrium said "<<disk>> is not valid". Can anyone explain how to overcome this problem? (I have taken this up with Macrium Support, but have a nasty feeling that they will say that I will have to create a new full image, which I wish to avoid if possible due to the time involved).

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Sorry Roy, I use MR and would normally contribute something to this. But I don't use the incremental functions of Macrium.
    She's probably better off seeking direct support via the macrium forum.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Any reason why she is doing incremental rather than differential. An incremental backup backs up changes from the last incremental backup so if you want to recover a single file, you have to navigate though all the incremental backups until you find it. A full disk restore would have to use the full backup and all incremental backups. My guess is that Macrium is having trouble locating the last incremental file.

A differential backup backs up changes from the last full backup so you only need to navigate from the last differential backup and the full backup to recover a file.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I took up the problem with Macrium Support, and they suggested editing the xml file. However, when I tried to do so I found that the source and destination disks shown were correct, so it made no sense to make any changes. I decided to delete all the previous images of her C drive and start afresh with a new full backup, which Macrium created successfuly, since when incremental backups of the drive have also been successful. (It would have been nice to know why the problem arose).

Jerry, thanks for your message, but what I am not clear about is if she made differential backups how would she (or rather how would I on her behalf) use Macrium to fully restore her C drive. Would I have to restore the full backup image and then subsequent differential images? (No problem restoring individual files or folders, I would simply mount images and copy and paste whatever I wanted to restore).

Jerry, your further advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I don't use Macrium but with a to restore a differential backup, you should just have to pick a differential backup file and Macrium should do the restore using it and the full backup file. Picking the latest differential file should give you the most complete restore but there may be cases when you want to use an older differential backup. An example is if you picked up a virus, you would want to use a differential backup file prior to the infection.

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-10-05)