Lounger
    Thanks

Please help with website maintainance

Hi everyone, I am a new website owner/builder, and my question is; where can I find info about maintaining my site?

I have the site up and running, using Zara Web Developer Pro X, when I need to update the site, what do I do?

I have screwed the site up trying to update before and had my host (JustHost) fix it for me.

My problem is; I don't know what to do with the files already in the public_html folder, delete them ( which ones?), download them and change them(how?).

I have read the software info, and there is plenty of info on getting your site up and running, but not how to update.

I also have several books telling me how to build and publish, but not much about maintaining.

I used FileZilla to change site before.

Can someone help an old man find this information, please?

Best regards, RGSmith http://gaylandsmith.com

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you _e', I appreciate your help.
    I'm off to try what you have suggested.
    Thanks again, RGSmith

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't know Zara Web Developer, but many of such tools can determine what changes occurred between different site updates and just upload those changes. Check to see if that option is available.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

RGSmith (2012-09-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirb, thank you, I'll take a look.

Best regards, RGSmith

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would keep a local copy of all files on your site, retaining the folder structure. Then if you need to update / roll back you just copy the whole lot.

Something like this would be OK.
    1. Create a folder with the current date and time in the form YYYYMMDDHHMM. This will sort nicely in Windows Explorer.
    e.g. My Documents\Website\201209281811
    2. Copy all files of the current web site into this folder for safe keeping. Never change anything in here.

To develop new content.
    1. Create a development folder and copy all files from the current folder into the dev folder. Change the files in the dev folder as required.
    e.g. My Documents\Website\Dev
    2. When you have the site ready to go, create a new date folder and move all the dev folder files into it.
    e.g. My Documents\Website\201209281822
    3. Use FileZilla to copy all the files from the date folder to your host.

If you ever need to roll back you just FTP all files of the version you require.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

RGSmith (2012-09-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul, thank you for the detailed structure, I have just a hodgepodge of files, in a folder on my desktop.

Your layout is going to be my plan from now on.

May I ask, the files, that are already onsite (public_html folder) how do I handle them?

Should I delete the present files, using Filezilla and then publish the new files, using Filezilla?

One poster (_e), has said that my Web Developer Pro X should automatically update them , do you find this to be the case with the program you are using?

I know this is all basic stuff to you guys, but if it's not printed in the books I have, Building a Website for Dummies, as well as others, how does one find it.
    (Except for the kindness of you guys on this forum.)

I posted this same call for help, on my software's forum, and they pretty much blew me off.

I appreciate you time and help, all the best, RGSmith.
    Last edited by RGSmith; 2012-09-28 at 15:33.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You should check the publication features of the software. See what it says there.

One thing is for sure - if you have the latest version of the website locally, you can overwrite everything you have inside the public_html folder.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib, thank you for your continued support.

I am going to print out all the responses, from you, _e, and Paul and get this all worked out.

Thanks to you all again, and all the best, RGSmith.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Filezilla to update web sites, then I have control and know what's going on. It also means if it's wrong it's my mistake.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thanks again, RGSmith.