New Lounger
    Thanks

Chrome switch from user-level to system-level w/out asking

Turned on my home pc and launched Chrome from my system tray as usual last night, and got a warning message that "An administrator has installed Google Chrome on this system, and it is available for all users. The system-level Google Chrome will replace your user-level installation now."

The system tray icon disappeared. Chrome launched, but all my extensions and add-ons were gone, as were my home pages. I'm the only one with access to that pc, and I'd made no changes since turning off the pc yesterday morning. I've used Chrome on this pc (and others at home) for a couple years now - all by myself, only me. And I had not made any changes to Chrome in a couple months.

Googled this and found people got this after installing Google Earth - I hadn't done that - or something Avast does - but I don't have Avast on that pc. Nobody seemed to get an answer on why or how to stop it next time.

There was no option to say "no - don't do that!" I've got a couple other pc's that I use, and would like to prevent this from happening on them, but don't know what caused it or how to stop it. Lot of time spent reinstalling extensions and add-ons and plug-ins, needlessly.

Any ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you ever figure this out? Just started popping up for me this week.

mart44
    If you have disabled Google Update or downloaded an update for Chrome from an update site (FileHippo or similar) rather than using Chrome's automatic update function, then it could be that you have two installations of Chrome. One in 'Application Data' and one in 'Program Files (x86)'. Your browser shortcut is likely to be the one that starts up the Application Data version of Chrome but what I think happens then is that the Program Files version gets detected. This overrides the Application Data installation of Chrome and so you get the message that it will switch.

Try going to Chrome.exe in the Google folder in C:\Program Files (x86). Send a shortcut for it to the Desktop and then try starting Chrome using the shortcut.

If that solves the problem, you could just use this shortcut instead of the present one. Also if it does, you might want to remove the Application Data installation of Chrome ..although it probably won't do any harm to leave it as it is. It would only be a bit of disk space taken up rather than being anything active.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This seemed to work for me but then the popup returned again. And yes, I did somehow have Chrome installed in both C:\Program Files\ and C:\Users\**\AppData\Local\.
    Even though I ran chrome from \Program Files, for some reason it seemed to be referencing the files in \AppData.

I then tried to remove Chrome from \AppData but was unable to do so. I kept getting the error message "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program." According to Task Manager there were no programs open at the time.

So then I performed a clean boot. See:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-dde430d27e10

I was then able to remove all references to Google Chrome in \AppData, reset the PC to start as usual and all seems fine.
    Consequently I have not reinstalled Google Chrome, instead I will stay with IE. As mart44 says, this whole saga seems to have something to do with Chrome update or updater installing another version in a different location on the PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Language change

I had the same experience with Chrome this morning and found that the language had mysteriously switched from English to Danish. I tried to change the language in the settings menu but gave up as the settings were in Danish too and I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up re-installing Chrome and it seems to be ok now.

I'm guessing this is a problem with an update as I've changed nothing on my system.

mart44
    I don't know if this will help but if you use any program to check and inform of updates and it says there is a Chrome update and also offers the download, come out of the page and use Chrome's 'About Google Chrome' option to update. The update server should then look at what is installed and only offer the correct update for it. You might have done this already though, in which case I wouldn't know why the language changed.

I can't say for sure when Chrome started installing in Program Files rather than Application Data, a few versions ago now anyway. I installed it on a new OS installation after Chrome's location had been changed. I therefore don't know how the program would have behaved if I too already had an instance of it in Application Data. In any event, going to Chrome.exe in Program files and creating a new shortcut should at least overcome the difficulty due to that part. Maybe best not to worry about the unused Application Data installation. It could be that removing it will bring more of a problem than leaving it there.