New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool avast Internet Security

I couldn't find any data on Avast Internet Security here.
    Is it worth the money as a all around Internet Security suite??
    Thanks

Jeff

Thanks
    Hi Jeff, as nobody else seems able to reply, here's my pennies worth. I don't think their is an all-in-one application that does everything very well. I prefer to pick the best IMO for their offerings. See my PC Specs in my sig. Have a look here to see pros & cons.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

jstasney (2012-10-04)

Thanks
    I believe AVG 2013 free AV is a better option. It has been upgraded for Win 8 as well. If you are thinking of moving to Win 8 be advised Avast 7 (I believe) does not play well with Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jstasney (2012-10-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK Roderunner and Medico, your PC specs indicate using Avast, as well. No malware software was indicated. Do you use any? Firewalls? Rogue web page software?
    That's the beauty of Internet Security software, especially for novice users of my better half.
    Also looking at Webroot Secure Anywhere since it has anti-malware.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by jstasney; 2012-10-04 at 11:07.

Thanks
    Not all pc setups are the same, so what works for others may not work for you. e.g. I use Outpost Firewall Pro which took me long enough to learn how to work with it. On the other hand I tried Online Armor Firewall free and it would no work at all.
    A fair free Firewall+Antivirus is ZoneAlarm.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Malware software?
    Rogue webpage?

Thanks
    I use AVG 2013 AV free, MalwareBytes Pro paid and Windows firewall along with a H/W firewall in my router. I also had success with MSE AV directly from MS.

Be advised, even though the web site does not show email scanning, when AVG 2013 AV free is installed you will see email and browser scanning as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jstasney (2012-10-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very good....thanks
    Brand of H/W firewall??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just my opinion, but the only reason to have a security suite is if you have children and want to control what they access on the internet. Since avast! Internet Security doesn't appear to have access control, then that would not be the correct choice if you're seeking that function, so you need to look at other brands. Otherwise, standard antivirus software is adequate. Modern antivirus software covers all malware; there's no need for separate software for different types of malware. avast! Free AntiVirus is a good product, and so is AVG AntiVirus Free. Also, make sure your Windows firewall is turned on, update your operating system every month, and access the internet through a limited account, not the administrator account.

If you insist on getting an internet suite, these reviews might be helpful: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a general rule, I agree with cloudsandskye: always using a Standard user account, especially for kids and folks who click on every darn thing. Then, don't tell them the admin account password. That act alone will dramatically reduce malware exposure. I regularly work from a standard user account, and it presents no burdens as I'm not one to tweak settings all day.

SpywareBlaster is a decent immunity tool that blocks known redirect sites and such. AdblockPlus is a great tool for preventing ads in Firefox and Chrome and eliminating a smaller vector for web madness.

Thanks
    Avast Internet Security has been rather buggy the last two times that I purchased it. It made Windows 7 run slow & a component of the Firewall didn't play well with Windows 8 (CP). I bought it then to have the Secure Browser feature, to allow me to shop/bank & protect me from keyloggers/other malicious software.

Had to download & install the Free version, then enter the key to get Avast IS 7 to install. It wouldn't install straight from the downloaded one at purchase. Still, the Firewall was buggy, & I uninstalled & got refunded for the product. One other thing, their Boot Time scan quarantined a couple of system files & I wasn't notified, so I reinstalled from a backup image that I had taken prior to installing the product. I always Backup prior to making major changes.

However, Avast Pro AV 7 works well with Windows XP through Windows 8, grab a 30 day trial of it & see.

Like Medico, I'm using AVG 2013 Free on Windows 8, which gives far more protection that it seems on the surface, there's lots of configuration options in it's control panel, plus a Full Rootkit scan option on the "Computer" panel. Configurable email options also.

I'm running that with MBAM Pro & SuperAntiSpyware Pro (both Lifetime) for maximum protection. These licenses were bought long ago, so I seen no need to waste them.

My normal security is ESET Smart Security 5, but it never has fully played well with Windows 8 CP, RP, Enterprise or Pro. I believe it's a Firewall component, as I tried out ESET NOD32 AV 6 (Beta & RC), it ran fine. Hopefully this will be fixed, as I have other computers on Smart Security & have another program bought, just need to activate it when the current version ends in February. I've been told that licensed users of Smart Security can also download & run just the AV with the key.

As far as Avast goes, it was my main source of security for years when I was running XP, after I bought this PC with Windows 7 pre-installed, I switched to MSE (due to Avast's Boot Time scan not being available for 64 bit users at the time). Except for a couple of brief times, haven't looked back.

Like everything else, software changes with the times. In my opinion, Avast is better suited for XP users, as that was the OS where it performed the best.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8