New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy IE9 and Firefox wont open after KB2744842!!!

Hi!

Well with all the hype about KB2744842 I just went ahaead and installed it. Now both browsers will open only once after a fresh boot, any subsequent attempts to open fail. In Task manager you can see the executables start up and disappear after a few seconds.

This problem is driving me nuts, there is some acknowledgement of the problem out there on the internet but not enough to get a solution. I have tried uninstalling the offending patch but apparently the damage is done! I tried to use system restore but that caused my system to BSOD for some strange reason. Fortunately, Acronis Trueimage got me back up but ..I was left then with the same problem ....run once only browsers!! I have checked for any other strange updates or new software but this patch was the only thing that could have caused the problem (as the internet acknowledges to some degree). Oh and yes I have run all manner of malware checking etc and full virus scanning ...no joy. Also starting the browsers with add ons disabled makes no difference.

I am running Win 7 SP1 on an ACER Laptop, with Norton Internet Security 2012. One possible clue is that by switching NIS off and back on again I can coax one of the browsers to start up again ...but only the once. Seems that the port maybe being temporarily blocked ...having said that thouigh the programs dont load so it maybe more fundamental than that. Starting up in safemode with networking enabled and the browsers work fine but I can't work out how to fix this to run normally. Virtual drivers ?

Please help before the men in white coats arrive!!!

Capant

Thanks
    Do you have a system restore point from just before the update installation. Restore to it.

By the way did you temp. disable the NIS while you were installing the patch? This patch was having problems with some security apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for responding. yes I tried a system restore and that caused me endless problems...until I used Acronis Truimage to restore my system .. but sadly only at a point after the installation of the troublesome patch!

Should I try re applying the patch whilst disabling NIS?

Thanks
    If you have a method to restore, as it sounds you do, I would try that. What can it hurt?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

With respect ... you're missing the point ... I have restored my system but sadly only to the same point where the patch was applied ..hence after a mad couple of days with no system at all I'm back where I started .... a system with start once only browsers!

What I need is fix for damage done by KB2744842!!

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Thanks
    Sorry, I did not realize your only Image was after the problem occurred. There may not be a fix. The damage probably occurred because the NIS was enabled during the installation.

You might then be looking at a repair install. Boot to the installation DVD, then when you get to the Install now page, choose the repair my PC option. Try the Repair Automatically Option.

Without system Images, repairs of corrupted system files become much more difficult.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried uninstalling the patch? Go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View installed updates. Find the update and select it. Click uninstall.

Joe