Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy A frustrating printing issue with IE9

I have IE9 running on 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 with an HP Officejet Pro 8500 networked printer, and a few weeks to a month ago I found it impossible to print something online that I have printed literally dozens of times before. It is a research database (on Ancestry.com) that is printed out (or at least is supposed to be) when you find the information that you want. In my case however, after using it all these years I now get nothing at all. In most cases, I get that little blue circle briefly that indicates it is doing something, but other than that I get no error notice, no printed results. . . .absolutely nothing.

Everything else I have tried to print does so without issue, including everything else in that same database online other than that same research printout. Further, I have just discovered only yesterday that if I try the same function using my Firefox browser (IE9 is default browser, and my preferred one to use) then I can print that same printout without difficulty. I have also discovered that I can also print it using IE9 on other computers as well, which leads me to think I've somehow got some obscure setting or "protection" set wrong in IE9, but if that is the case I sure don't know what it is.

Does any of this make any sense to any of the resident experts out there? I've gone through all of my settings in IE9 to see what I can find, have reset them to default, but I don't know enough about such settings to intelligently reset any of them without fear of making things worse. If any of the folks on this forum can offer any suggestions, I would be most grateful. Now that I can work around the issue by simply bring up and print that one item in Firefox I do have a work-around for the problem, but I should not have to do that and would much prefer doing it on IE9 along with everything else if I can do so.

I thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can offer.
    Last edited by decann; 2012-09-29 at 10:30.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Try loading the page in compatibility mode by clicking on the torn page icon on the right side of the address bar and then try to print.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka, I cannot see any icon that I can recognize as a "torn page," but the greater question that came to mind reading your reply is what happened to make it necessary to do this when I've been doing this for years without having to do anything at all but hit the "print" button? What has changed, and is there a way of fixing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try loading the page in compatibility mode by clicking on the torn page icon on the right side of the address bar and then try to print.

Jerry

David E. Cann

Thanks
    The icon is on the right side of the address bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Banyarola For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Banyarola, as I noted previously they do not appear on mine, or at least not all of them. Specifically, comparing to your example above, I show ONLY the ones in number 1, 2, 5, and 6 position above. Numbers 3 and 4 are not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    The icon is on the right side of the address bar. I cannot recall if the others were there before or not, such as when I could still print these pages normally, but the icons are not there now.
    Last edited by decann; 2012-09-29 at 10:13.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    You can also invoke compatibility view from the tools menu. If you don't have the menu bar displayed, hit the alt key

Jerry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-29)

Thanks
    decann, I think you are a little confused...

You are looking at the menu bar.

The one you need is to the right of the address bar near the 'REFRESH' symbol.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Can you give more specific steps to follow? I just invoked "Compatibility view," but all that happened was that the right column of my IE9 got scrambled up, so I unselected it again. At no time did any new icons appear to the right of the address bar, and now the right column of my "My MSN" home page is different, though a minor difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can also invoke compatibility view from the tools menu. If you don't have the menu bar displayed, hit the alt key

Jerry.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not on mine. From left to right, the ONLY icons are "Search," "Address bar autocomplete," "Refresh" and "Stop." NOTHING else. If I look at my wife's desktop, which does print the same pages that I cannot, she does have the torn page icon there, but mine does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    decann, I think you are a little confused...

You are looking at the menu bar.

The one you need is to the right of the address bar near the 'REFRESH' symbol.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought on this subject as I sit here trying to think of something that might make some sense out of this (to me, at least), but is it possible that big IE upgrade a month or so ago somehow broke something in the process of upgrading that could be causing what we are talking about above? With three other computers, none of which have this problem, and with the issue making itself known about the same time frame as that upgrade, I just wonder. I do not at all relish the thought of doing it, but I am wondering if reinstalling IE9 would restore it, or is there another less drastic way of doing it? Just a thought.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    If I look at my wife's desktop, which does print the same pages that I cannot, she does have the torn page icon there, but mine does not.
    Blue or grey? Compare her Compatibility View Settings at Alt-T with yours.

Bruce

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Blue or grey what, and what do you mean by comparing her Compatibility View Settings "at Alt-T" with mine? I did compare the settings, and they were the same, but what do you mean by "at Alt-T?"
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Blue or grey? Compare her Compatibility View Settings at Alt-T with yours.

Bruce

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Her torn page icon.

Alt-T was one of the few ways to get to Compatibility View Settings.

Bruce

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. Sorry, but I wasn't familiar with the phrase. Can't tell if her icon is blue or grey in color, but to tell you the truth it is close to both and mine is the same in this location. It is still missing to the right of the address bar. As for the Compatibility view settings, they are also the same in both locations with the three options at the bottom enabled, enabled, and disabled in that order top to bottom in both locations. What does this mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Her torn page icon.

Alt-T was one of the few ways to get to Compatibility View Settings.

Bruce

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Microsoft actually refer to what I called blue and grey as solid color (on) or outline (off): How to use Compatibility View in Internet Explorer 9

When you try to print this elusive page, is that with a button on that page or with IE9's menu or button or Ctrl-P?

Bruce

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-29)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast