2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with SSD

I bought a Kingston 120Gb SSD for the OS. My plan was to replace current boot drive with the SSD, building a new install with applications while having the ability to boot into the old build by swapping a cable.

I pulled all the old drive data cables, put the SSD in boot position, and did a fresh install from a W-7 pro SP-1 CD. I was sort of reading and watching as the install progressed and when it got to the final step of the process, "finish installation," the screen went blank and stayed that way. I had to just rebuild my wife's machine when her boot drive croaked (skreeeeeeeeeeee) and I remember putting in the license code and a password and setting the time zone but did none of these things to my new SSD build.

I have used this CD to do an in place rebuild of my original install so i know it works. Did I do something wrong? Is the SSD bad? Some of the threads I consulted before starting mentioned copying the installation files to a 4 G thumb drive but i couldn't get mine to boot.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dan,

Did you go into the BIOS and set the HD option to ACHI for the SSD?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Do yourself a favor and update the firmware of the SSD drive while your at it.
    There is no such thing as; "if it ain't broke don't fix it", when it comes to SSDs and firmware.
    Check your BIOS for an update too while your at it, or at least look through the change log of any potential BIOS update.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed the OS before you posted this reply. Can I still upgrade the firmware?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    You can in all likelihood update the firmware irregardless, just ensure that you have an imaged backup in place, as many
    manufacturer's recommend as well.

The current firmware version can be located in device manager under the drives "details" section of properties.
    It will be listed on the drop down menu under "hardware ID".
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-09-28 at 20:47.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The plot thickens. I downloaded a firmware update and read the pdf. It says the ssd must be installed as a usb drive and the HD option set to ACHI. When I do this, everything blows up. The box will not boot. "Starting Windows" is followed by the flash of a blue screen and a re-boot to "Windows did not start normally" white on black.

I am doing something wrong, here, I just don't know what.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Dan,

You will probably have to reinstall windows. The ACHI mode should have been set before you installed the SSD or at least on first boot after doing so.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This seems to be more fundamental than that. When I have ACHI mode set, the box will not boot from the existing IDE drive.

Yesterday, I set ACHI with only the ssd connected, re-installed w7 and went through all the hoops of names, time zone, and password and got a bootable version of w7 on that drive. Went back to my original configuration including turning achi off in bios and collected my software for the new build. It was only this morning when I set about to update the ssd firmware that I became aware of the no boot problem.

I am currently re-reading the instructions I went through Wednesday.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Dan,

From the Wikipedia entry on ACHI:
    Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista and Windows 7, do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the SATA-drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation. This can cause failure to boot with an error message if the SATA controller is later switched to AHCI mode.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I booted into windows with the SSD and one IDE drive and it worked. Thanks.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG,

Please take a look at this, and comment:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-7-vista.html

(Ulterior motive: I plan to do the same, soon.)

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-09-29 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Zig,

All I can say is that Windows SevenForums is a usually reliable site. Not having tried it I can's say if it will work or not but it seems logical. Of course you have to be able to boot the machine into the copy of Windows that has the problem to fix the registry for that copy using regedit! This would work for a SATA drive but I don't think it will for a SSD drive.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This fix worked. I changed one numerical value in the registry, restarted, changed the disks to ahci in the bios, rebooted into W7 and the computer automatically recognized my other disks. I am still running on the IDE boot drive as I gather all the myriad numbers and files to make the switch to the SSD.

Windows 7 is better than previous versions but windows installs rot! I used to have to do an re-install every 6 months running W2000, this W7 install has gone almost two years but some programs just won't work anymore and there are other niggling little problems.

I'm planning to keep my data files on the existing IDE drive, my image collection is twice the size of my new SSD. I have read several threads on how to do this, don't completely understand them but haven't actually tried, yet.

Thanks for the help.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub