Lounge VIP
    Thanks

IE performs better than FF, Chrome and others in recent security report?

According to a recent report from NSS labs, Internet Explorer performed significantly better in proactively detecting malicious websites than its competitors.

Detection rates were up to 96% for IE while Chrome and other languished far below.

The gulf between the browsers performance in the tests surprises me to be honest, so I make no claim on the accuracy or relaibility of the report, but the data presented does seem compelling.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Browsers are not for detecting malicious web site in my book, it's up to your AV software and you.
    Browsers should not have holes that malicious sites can drive through - performance varies here.
    Users are responsible for NOT clicking Yes when asked if you want to run files from web sites - at least not until they have run a virus scan on the file and checked that they actually want whatever they have downloaded.

My 2c.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think IE has consistently fared better than the others, in that respect. I just wish they could make it as reliable as Chrome, on everything else. Then they would make a compelling case for people to use IE again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Browsers are not for detecting malicious web site in my book
    Yeah, that's all well and good for you, because you are not going to get suckered by dodgy scams anyway, but perhaps if you took a slightly wider point of view, and looked at the broader group of internet users, you would see that there is a need to give them as much protection as possible. Especially given that IE users (apart from corporate usage) will generally be less internet-savvy than FF/Chrome people, I think it's great news that their browser offers the most protection. Seems to me to be the way it should be. AV software only goes so far; nearly all the machines I get to clean out the viruses from, are running some form of AV, which has obviously not kept it out.

Another great thing is Google's big red warning. I think it is really well designed, and I'm sure most people will actually sit up and take notice when they see it, and it is an art to stop them from simply clicking "Ok" or whatever button is in their road.

Thanks
    No AV app will catch everything immediately as it is released and for a period of time afterwards. That's why security should be a multi-layered thing. A good AV/AM app, with a good firewall (both S/W and H/W) a good, fully updated and secure browser, and the most important component, a informed user that follows simple precautions. A good AM app such as MalwareBytes Pro is another good addition to the security scheme.

All these things together can make our computing enjoyable and productive without the wasted time of solving "nasty" problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Browsers are not for detecting malicious web site in my book, it's up to your AV software and you.
    Why do none of the major browser makers agree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I think IE has consistently fared better than the others, in that respect. I just wish they could make it as reliable as Chrome, on everything else. Then they would make a compelling case for people to use IE again.
    I'm curious about the everything else that Chrome is more reliable on than IE. Any examples?

Bruce

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Why do none of the major browser makers agree with you?
    Probably depends on your definition of malicious. Seems to me that the browser manufacturers will always be behind the bad guys, so it's up to you to be vigilant.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'm curious about the everything else that Chrome is more reliable on than IE. Any examples?
    For 90% of the web pages, I find all the major browsers work about the same, but I have run into several instances of IE 9 issues. Sometimes compatability mode fixes it, other times not. Haven't founs any page that Chrome doesn't handle. The most irritating IE 9 example for me is the Windows IT Pro forum here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...eneral/threads

When I click on a post and then try to go back to the preceding page by hitting the backspace key or the mouse button I have assigned to the back function, it doesn't work. Looking at the web history by right clicking on the back arrow, I find a continue inserted for every time I try to use the page back function. Works fine in Chrome.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The most irritating IE 9 example for me is the Windows IT Pro forum here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...eneral/threads

When I click on a post and then try to go back to the preceding page by hitting the backspace key or the mouse button I have assigned to the back function, it doesn't work. Looking at the web history by right clicking on the back arrow, I find a continue inserted for every time I try to use the page back function. Works fine in Chrome.
    Backspace or back button work fine for me in IE9 on that site. I wonder where your continue is coming from?

Bruce

Thanks
    I wish I knew too. I tried signing out and all of a sudden, the back function started working. Signed back in and back is still working. I don't understand why but I do find IE 9 a little flakey from time to time.

Jerry

Thanks
    IE 10 works fine as well on the referenced site.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I'm beginning to believe that Microsoft recently made a programming change to those sites that fixed the problem. I did get a script timeout error there once today.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    According to a recent report from NSS labs, Internet Explorer performed significantly better in proactively detecting malicious websites than its competitors.

Detection rates were up to 96% for IE while Chrome and other languished far below.

The gulf between the browsers performance in the tests surprises me to be honest, so I make no claim on the accuracy or relaibility of the report, but the data presented does seem compelling.
    MSE seems to be quite effective in conjunction with IE9 when it comes to integrated support for downloads checking and warnings.
    As others have said, it's not merely your browser, but you and your computer skills along with the proper usage of your AV/AM product.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-10-10 at 00:22.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.