3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

REinstalling IE9 to resolve an issue

I am running the latest IE9 on a new (less than three months old) Dell XPS with 16 GB of RAM and an Intel Core i7 processor operating on the latest 64-bit Windows 7 SP1, an am considering REinstalling it as a last resort in trying to resolve what appears to be an issue perhaps in it (see A frustrating printing issue with IE9 elsewhere in this same forum). A machine like this should not be having software issues so soon, but I just don't know what else to try. I have a dread of reinstalling for multiple reasons, but at the moment it is appearing the above discussion is not going very far in resolving the problem, so hopefully a complete replacement of IE9 will.

I do not know if the two are related or not, but my issue was first noticed about the time of the recent large upgrade (was it a security upgrade) about a month ago. Maybe it was coincidental, but I've got to wonder if perhaps something "skipped a beat" during the upgrade causing the issue, but I am in no way knowledgeable enough to make that judgement.

Can someone advise me of any pitfalls on reinstalling? I know that if IE is uninstalled it will revert to using the previous version of IE, but be aware that I believe this is the original installation itself, so there may be no previous version to fall back on if that is a factor. I hesitate saying that though, because a friend who is a computer professional set it up for me at the time, so I cannot say that with absolute certainty. I have looked at a number of online resources recently on how to reinstall it, but seem to find very little real information containing information that I can understand, like

1. Is there a "repair" tool to run (I do not have installation CDs for this installation) rather than do a complete reinstall?

2. Can I reinstall IE9 by download over my current installation in hopes of correcting my issue?

3. Is it necessary or advisable to fully remove the current IE9 before reinstalling, and if so, how do I download it after removing IE9??? :-(

In short, I need some help and advice. I think it is obvious from my questions that I am in no way a computer expert, only an old man (70) who has learned a bit about it from trial and error over the last decade or so, but who gets frustrated at times like this when it is more error than is ideal. I will hoping to hear from someone out there in the near future, and thank you in advance for your help.

David E. Cann

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 7 ships with IE 8. You should be able to remove IE 9 and you will have IE 8 to use. You can then download IE 9 again.

I once used IE over everything else. I grew tried of IE, though. Too many issues, too much grievances over it. My advice would be for you to try Chrome. I never thought I would be a die hard Chrome user, but I am. IE 10, which comes with Windows 8 is better than IE 9 and it hasn't been enough for me to change back to IE. IMHO, IE is not worth the trouble.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-30)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

decann (2012-09-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR, Thank you. Now if this NON-techie can only muster up the courage to uninstall something as central and which he uses as much as IE maybe this will work. :-(

David E. Cann