Douglas Baumwall

The future of online user authentication is ... graphics cards?

Last edited by JoeP517; 2012-10-01 at 09:27. Reason: removed advertising link

Thanks
    I wonder just what stuff these guys are smoking? Encrypt a whole disk based on physical characteristics of a grapihic card, really! What happend if/when the graphics card fails! Same for access to your financial sites. I'm just sayin'.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I agree RG, not only does this seem relatively far fetched for common use, but what if I get a new PC. Now not only would I have to identify myself through the normal channels, I would somehow have to identify my "PUF"?????
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think it may be possible to read too much into it just now. It's a research project. Like most research projects, the majority of data produced lead to no tangible products. Nonetheless, finding and verifying unique identifiable manufacturing differences could have a huge benefit.

Some unique identifiers rely on seemingly random data that is reproducible under certain strict conditions - encryption is one example. One doesn't need to think whole disk encryption, but what about kerberos?

I guess the point is, not that it can be done with gfx cards, but that it can be done at all. If it is possible to determine unique reproducible identifiers on a gfx card, think about secure devices, such as smartcards etc. Then extrapolate that to ATM cards, HSM modules etc...

Sure, there are algorithms for these systems just now, but having a hardware encryption system protected by keys generated by the physical construction of the hardware itself could lead to a unclonable system.

Interesting I say...
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993