Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting MS Access to Fox Pro database

I have upgraded my os to Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. Now my ODBC connection to a Fox Pro database does not work. I downloaded and installed vfpoledb.dll that is suppose to let me make the connection but I am not sure how to make that connection. I tried to link to the Fox Pro database through ODBC but that driver does not show in the list. TIA John
    Last edited by imincorrigible; 2012-10-01 at 12:02.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Does this help?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that acticle applied to people running 64 bit machines.
    On the download site it says ODBC is not supported to use OLE DB. Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver
    The VFPODBC driver is no longer supported. We strongly recommend using the Visual FoxPro OLE DB provider as a replacement. Please refer to the following article for more information and related links to issues when using the VFPODBC driver: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277772.

When I try and use the ODBC drivers it says that I have to download the newest one.

I don't see how to make a OLE DB connection in Access. I can see how you can do it in Excel. :/

Administrator
    Thanks
    You need the syntax for an OLEDB connection in Access? Shouldn't really be different from Excel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your patience.
    Excel 2003 has a connection wizard but Access 2003 lacks a connection wizard. Without the wizard I am lost as to how to make a OLEDB connection in Access. What am I not doing or seeing? Does Access 2010 have a connection wizard?

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if this helps with the OLEDB linking: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...001056337.aspx

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like that would work if I was running MS Access Project & MS SQL Server which I am not. I will look into running these programs.
    Is anyone running Windows 7 in the XP Mode? If you are running in the XP mode can you use ODBC connections like a computer running the XP OS? That might be easlier & simplier to do than setting up Project & SQL Server.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Why only with SQL Server? It shows how to use an OLEDB driver to connect to an external source, from Access. You just need to specify the Visual FoxPro OLEDB driver instead of a driver to SQL Server or Project. This site shows connection strings to Visual Fox Pro, using the OLEDB driver: http://www.connectionstrings.com/visual-foxpro

U
    sing the information in both will allow you to connect using the OLEDB driver, which is what you wanted, right?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Actually the link is not so useful for Access 2010, as you don't seem to have that much freedom with 2010, to specify data sources as the article requires, at least to my knowledge.

Do you have the ODBC driver files?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think Rui was suggesting that you install either Project or MS SQL, but trying to show you how connect strings work. If you have not seen this http://www.accessforums.net/import-e...cess-9136.html article, it may help. If this is a production database, then you should probably look at using a FoxPro front-end rather than trying to use Access. On the other hand, if your intent is to convert it to Access, then I would import the data tables into Excel, and then either take them into Acesss or SQL Server Express (it's free). There's no point in inflicting brain damage trying to get linked FoxPro tables to work if it's a one-time exercise. I found a couple of cases where people had been trying for some time (years) - see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...c-68b599b31bf5 for example.
    Wendell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WendellB For This Useful Post:

imincorrigible (2012-10-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have ODBC drivers but Windows 7 cannot use them. When I try to use them, it tells me to download the latest driver. When you go to the download page it tells me to use OLEDB which I downloaded.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The data in the FoxPro database changes everyday. I combine that data that I retrieved from FroPro with the data that I keep in my Access database that changes everyday.
    I have not used connection strings before. One of the procedures I use is to make a table in Access using a make table query from the records in a table in FoxPro.
    Would connection string go in the sql statement for the make table query? Or do I put it in a module?
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to look at this thread.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hmmm... the links posted by Wendell make me think you won't be able to use the ODBC driver, no matter what you try. Problem is, I don't see a way to link tables from the Access user interface, using an OLEDB driver.

Now, programatically, you could be lucky, as I am sure you could use the OLEDB driver. I have checked the TransferDatabase method, that allows you to programatically link tables and I see no options for FoxPro, using the OLEDB driver. So, unless someone knows better, you'd need dedicated VBA code to import the data you want into Access. I see no other option. If you want to go that way, maybe this could be of help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...s0(VS.80).aspx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to put the connection string from connectionstrings.com in a command button to run the code. I was just trying to see if it would run but I get a compile error: syntax error.
    Private Sub Command21_Click()
    Provider=vfpoledb;Data Source=F:\oe\;Collating Sequence=general;
    End Sub
    Any ideas? Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Provider should be a string:

Provider="vfpoledb;Data Source=F:\oe\;Collating Sequence=general;"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast