New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows no longer prints......

Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I have an old Epson Action Laser 1500 printer I bought new in 1993. Wonderful printer and less than a year ago I replaced the original print cartridge. I use this printer for all my printing needs where I don't need/want color. Here's what happened:

The DVD drive in my computer was going bad so I replaced it. When I put the computer back together, the printer no longer worked. The HP all-in-one still works. The printer prints test pages and the Windows driver (have to use the LaserJet III driver as W-7 no longer has an Action Laser 1500 driver, but not an issue as the 1500 emulates the LJ-III) says the printer is working normally, but nothing will print. It worked fine until I replaced the DVD drive. This doesn't make sense. However, I want to print on the cheap (ink-wise) Action Laser rather than the expensive HP all-in-one when possible. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ronald11103; 2012-10-01 at 13:57.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried printing from more than one application?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are right something doesn't make sense
    However, have you tried System Restore to a time when the printer was printing ok?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I tried printing from several different programs. At first when I sent something to the printer the printer icon would show that job printing, but nothing printed and it just sat there until I cancelled it. Now nothing shows in the print que when I send a document to the printer. I replaced the DVD drive maybe three months ago (maybe longer, time flies!) so don't think I can restore that far back. The only thing that changed was the installation of a new DVD drive. I hadn't installed any new programs nor manually updated any programs. I looked inside the computer box to see if any cables came unplugged but couldn't see any.

"Devices and Printers" still shows the printer "Ready" and the printer prints test pages.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all create a restore point before checking out the following ideas

Check http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-04f02952e917.
    --- Since the printer worked before, it appears to me that it should be natively workable
    --- Even though the problem is posted in a Vista forum, the first reply indicates a solution on a Win 7 64 bit computer

Check out your Windows Updates
    --- You might have an optional update pertaining to your Epson printer

Check out Services
    --- I don't have Win 7 but see if your Print Spooler is set to Automatic
    --- Look for Epson items and make sure they are set to at least Manual
    ------ It might makes sense to set them to Automatic for this experiment and see the results

Check Device Manger
    --- Are there any Yellow or Red markers in there?
    --- If so could it be a port, usb or some item that can be associated with the Epson printer?

If none of the above work, shut everything down.
    --- Start only the Epson printer and give it plenty of time to completely start up even if it takes 5 minutes
    --- Wait an additional minute or so and then boot up the computer
    --- Give the computer plenty of time to full boot up
    --- Attempt to print a document and hopefully magically you'll be back in business

Well another idea just came to my mind
    --- I can't say it makes sense
    --- But go into your BIOS and ensure the DVD drive isn't set to boot up first - probably should be set to last or not at all for this experiment
    --- Since the issue occured after you changed the DVD drive, it might be worth checking it out

Good luck