New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot get rid of 32 bit updates on Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Windows update has, over the past month, offered me more than 20 updates that each ends with a "32 bit" tag. This is for my 64 bit machine, and is in addition to the 64 bit updates that I've installed. Nothing I've tried gets rid of them, and I don't know what the effect would be of letting them run and fail just to delete them from the update list. I'm running a machine custom built by my son, which has worked fine for a year and never shown any compatibility or other problems.

Thanks
    I don't believe that you should as there are still a lot of apps that use the 32 bit .dll's and other resources.
    I would not be too surprised if there are even some of them still used by the 64 bit Apps.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Just take whatever updates Windows Update offers. Every 64 bit installation has to run 32 bits and some apps come only in 32 bit versions.

Thanks
    WU does check your system before automatically offering updates. There are still many 32 Bit apps. Just look at IE. IE 32 Bit is still default. You have to choose the IE 64 Bit icon to get that to open. MS recommends 32 bit Office rather than 64 Bit. In fact the 32 Bit installation is default. You have to specifically look for the 64 Bit installation.

If you look in Windows Explorer you will see Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. I'll give you one guess what the Program Files (x86) is.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. I'll make backups and try loading the patches, although I'm still puzzled why these updates were tagged as 32 bit in their titles. I've never seen that before on any of my machines.