Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy DVD writer not seen in notebook runing Win7

I have a problem with my external DVD drive-writer and my netbook
    Notebook [NB] is an Asus Model Eee PC, Intel N1450 at 1.67 GHz, 250GB HDD, 2GB; RAM; running W7 Home Premium.
    I also have an external Samsung DVD writer [DVDWR] model SE-S084, it came with driver (BG68-01851A Rev.01) and additional files in a CD. It plugs into an USB port.
    They worked together OK until a couple of weeks ago, until when opening Windows Explorer, it didn’t see the external device.
    If I recall properly, a message indicated that the initialization file in the registry had been corrupted.
    So, I opened Device Manager, and plugged back the writer, now with its CD. My assumption was that it would reinstall automatically and solve the problem.
    No luck. It aims to begin installation of the driver, but declares a failure.
    So, I uninstalled the driver (assuming it being corrupt), and I decided to download a new driver from Samsung site. When trying to run it, it doesn’t see it eother, and notifies a failure also.
    So I am in a chicken and egg situation, cannot install driver of a device which is not being seen, what is a requirement to install the driver.
    I am sure that there is something I’m doing wrong, and will very much appreciate help and guidance to overcome this problem.
    BTW, the driver works OK in all my other desktop machines, and the USB port works OK with my other USB sticks.
    Alternatively, is it there any utility dealing with this kind of situations?
    Thanks in advance.

Daniel Rozenberg.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Use a common registry cleaning tool like CCleaner's to assist in removing the leftovers.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint;

Thanks for your reply.
    I downloaded CClean, but I CONFESS, I am reluctant (read SCARY), to TOUCH the registry, as a mistake can have catastrophic consequences.
    Given that, is it there any warning o precaution I should have when dealing with the registry?
    This would be (to the best of my recollection), the first time I would be doing it.
    TIA for your help.

DR.

Thanks
    DR.

CCleaner will give you the option of backing up the registry before it makes changes. I create a folder under Documents called Registry Backups and tell CCleaner to save the backup there so I know where it is. You might also want to take an Image Backup of your system before using CCleaner for the first time. You can download Macrium Reflect Free for the task and consult the Maintenance forum for specifics on the product's many uses.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or you could go to control panel backup and restore and create an image using win 7's perfectly good and easy tool (only 4 clicks to access and start) you need the win 7 install dvd or create a repair disk to use to boot from to restore from a backup. (same as any image creation software).
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-10-02 at 11:55.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy DVD writer not seen in notebook runing W7.

hi all;

following, list of actions taken and results:
    run CCleaner Rev 17 that I had.
    it found over 600 issues in the registry.
    fixed them all.
    commenting this problem with a friend, he mentioned Advance System Care 5 (asc_5.exe) [ASC5]
    downloaded and run it scanning.
    it found additional 113 anomalies in the registry. fixed those too.
    plugged DVD writer (with its cd which that has the driver and other programs), but no luck for it to be seen in windows explorer [WE].
    decided to download latest CCleaner Rev (23), and run again.
    no difference in CCleaner results. please see figure 1 in attachment.
    see figure 2 displaying what WE shows for my computer (I’ll come back to this figure later).
    decided to download from Samsung site the latest firmware file (SE-S084F_TS00.exe), and before anything else verified compatibility with W7 (figure 5).
    tried to run it, but …….see figure 4.
    opened device manager, and at properties, tried “update driver”, running the recent download.
    no luck, see figure 6.

now, coming back to figure 2:
    the CD with the driver ALSO has other NERO files:
    Nero express Essentials (Ver 9.4.27.1)
    Nero Vision Express Essentials,
    Nero ShowTime Essentials
    Nero Recode essentials
    in CD Essentials.

noticing that :Nero Scout” ……System Folder, i clicked to open, no luck. i saw a quick flash, but no new image ( neither at same or other folder)
    given that i had previously loaded Nero 7 [N7], in this NB, and believing that the reason of the problem could be a s/w conflict between N7 and the “Essentials” that the CD loaded (automatically!!) at installation of this driver, i decided to remove N7.
    and decided to use the uninstall feature of ASC5.
    here is where the thing gets “interesting”.
    please see figure 7:
    when Gathering required information box appeared. at certain point W7 CRASHES, and a new dialog box indicates to Close the program.
    before doing it, I clicked on View problem details, a text box appeared with the info listed in last page of the attachment.
    well, i said, probably this uninstall feature is NOT as complete and competent as the (known) REGULAR feature of W7.
    tried that (Control panel > Uninstall Program), and got the same dialog boxes as in figure 7, with the SAME CRASH at same point as before.
    clicking in “View Problem Details” yields same (text) info (the only difference is in the Crash and Current thread IDs; the last ones are bold typed).
    googled APPCRASH.
    there were some sites with recommendations that i followed (none of them rendered valuable results); one of then recommends “reinstalling the program that produces the crash”.
    only that my N7 came in a CD…………………

my thoughts about this (opinions invited).
    based in my ignorance, i believe / speculate that the problem is “intrinsic” to the structure of the current W7 in my machine.
    something (beyond the normal access / reach of regular fixing utilities) must have changed / corrupted something in W7, making “that something” non functional or erratic.
    I would appreciate the thoughts of the forum, but I am starting to toy with the idea of calling the # of Microsoft support in the box of the s/w when I bought it in December 2011.

TIA to all, for your assistance.

Daniel Rozenberg
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sure that there is something I’m doing wrong, and will very much appreciate help and guidance to overcome this problem.
    BTW, the driver works OK in all my other desktop machines, and the USB port works OK with my other USB sticks.
    I am not clear....does the external DVD drive work OK in other desktop machines or just the driver?
    First you need to establish that the drive itself is good.

Try this software from Nirsoft to check the installed USB devices on your computer. You can uninstall them and reboot the computer to reinstall the necessary USB connection (mouse and keyboard).

I had a USB printer that would not work. I deleted the driver and reinstalled the printer but the computer would not detect the USB connection. I used USBDeview to see and delete the old printer USB connection then the install went fine.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DVD writer [dvdw] was OK, as well as the USB port.
    dvdw was working ok in desktop, and a usb stick worked ok in nb port.
    issue solved by MS.
    we worked 5 HOURS over the phone, with him taking over remote control of the machine.
    he finally edited the registry, afer requesting help from level 2 assistance team.

DR.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    would be nice to know what he edited in the registry but expect he did not want to divulge the info,
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Wonder if it was the infamous upper/lower filters fix:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Also known as code 39 error.

Zig

Thanks
    DVD writer [dvdw] was OK, as well as the USB port.
    dvdw was working ok in desktop, and a usb stick worked ok in nb port.
    issue solved by MS.
    we worked 5 HOURS over the phone, with him taking over remote control of the machine.
    he finally edited the registry, afer requesting help from level 2 assistance team.
    Can you provide more tangible details please, if possible.
    As I am sure you would not want to have others spend 5 hrs on the telephone trying to hash this out.
    working this out.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

i established contact with MS on friday 5th at about 11.15 AM Toronto time.
    the service i received was from Manila, in the Philippines, which time zone is 12 hours ahead of us. i learned later that he was only one hour short of ending his shift.
    in the beginning, he was very methodical.
    first thing he did was to get the information of my credit card to which he indicated a U$S 100 was to be charged (in Canada we have an additional 13% tax), beause MS ONLY gives 90 warranty for their products, mine expired in April......
    as i am sure you will understand, by then i was ecstatic of joy…………….
    secondly (after he took remote control of the machine), he did Run > cmd > sfc/scannow.
    it took a while to complete, but results were that all system files checked correct.
    then he downloaded Autoruns for Windows, installed and run it.
    then he tried (SEVERAL TIMES), to uninstall Nero following the same procedures I had before, with same results.
    he tried (SEVERAL TIMES), to install the new driver for the DVDW, the one I has in the usb stick as well as the one downloaded, with same results as me.
    from then on, it turned a bit “shoot in the dark”.
    he downloaded (from Cnet) RevoUninstall (the free edition, not the Pro that RevoUninstall site links you to), installed and run it.
    he said that CCleaner is old, uncompleted and (hinted), obsolete.
    i kind of agree with him, because I saw both programs in action.
    he said that very probably the problem had been created by a malicious virus, and (if my recollection AND understanding are correct), was like this:
    all programs installed in Windows contain a sub-program to uninstall itself.
    apparently, this virus had corrupted the uninstall sub-program of Nero, and that was why it turned to be so difficult to remove.
    the intended damage by the hacker would be to impede uninstalling of programs (the Nero version I had, if my recollection is OK, took about 545 Mb).
    also (as you I’m sure will verify running Revo , there is a feature that shows the remnants in the registry, and an option to FORCE the un-installation.
    after all this wheeling and dealing, it was about 3.30 PM in Toronto, but AM in Philippines.
    the man was tired, and he wanted to escalate my claim to level 2, which were going to (phone) call me in about half an hour when the first operator took service.
    i resisted that, and then he asked me for the option of reloading W7HP remotely, which i accepted and i started to backup everything valuable for me.
    BTW, i was blamed for not having W7HP updates not set automatically, because the Windows Installer [WI] was not up to date (i was explained that WI installs the uninstaller sub-program of Nero).
    re-li-gious-ly every Saturday morning, i methodically disk clean, scan, defragment and select upgrades. i run this routine for both my desktop and notebook.
    the reason I select upgrades is because I do not want to be forced into installing the latest version of internet explorer; i use Mozilla.
    he saud that i should install ALL upgrades because the upgrade of WI was in one of those i had not selected......
    by that time, someone of level 2 must have arrived, because he was putting me on hold frequently.
    i had previously requested an email reporting each and every one of the actions he had taken with the machine.
    finally he reclaimed control of the machine, and did (i am pasting from the email I received):
    Open Device Manager > delete USB ROOT > restart computer
    Open Device Manager > View> Show Hidden Devices
    Open CMD > type "Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" > restart your computer
    Check if DVD/CD drive is reading CD's/DVD's.

so far what i can recall. nevertheless, i am not happy.
    when opening my computer, i still have a Nero Scout, which he could not remove, but he indicated "it would not give a problem"................

please forgive my vocabulary, but the whole experience pissed me off.....

your comments will be appreciated.

daniel rozenberg

Thanks
    Do you recall the registry edits that you said finally fixed the problem?

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm curious too if its the above referenced upper/lower filters fix. I just had this happen on my work PC.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast