Thanks

Logging Into and Out of OneNote Mobile

I just downloaded OneNote Mobile, and I'm a little confused by it -- no snickering out there...

It installed fine, but first of all it seemed as if it required not a Hotmail login, nor an Outlook.com login, but my "Windows Live Central" login (?). I remember vaguely Microsoft prompting me to set that up, but I don't believe I have used it since. Hotmail [my only interaction] is a separate login e-mail address.

Then, It does not seem to have the same folder structure as my OneNote local copy, so where is it getting it from, and will it sync the two?

Third, on the mobile App there doesn't seem to be an actual logout option. So am I going to always be logged into the OneNote App?

Either am truly missing some key piece, I am very dense [no comments please], or this App is anything but clear.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    I looked at the app about 6 months ago. While I'm a big OneNote fan - the mobile version left me cold.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    Catharine, I sorta reached that conclusion myself. I have resolved the issue by using EverNote "mobile-ly" and then importing to OneNote. Works well enough to serve my purpose, and EN is pretty well integrated to *many* devices.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your hotmail address is actually the address for a Microsoft account. One Note mobile will handle only documents on SkyDrive. There is no logout, it will always use your microsoft account.

Thanks
    So then is the OneNote mobile copying your [mobile] input to the SkyDrive and from there to the OneNote on your local drive?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    OneNote Mobile accesses all your OneNote notebooks in Skydrive. These can also be accessed by your locally installed OneNote, as OneNote can also open Notebooks in SkyDrive. Cached data for notebooks is kept on your drive and is synced with SkyDrive.

You don't really have access to local copies of SkyDrive notebooks.

Thanks
    Ah.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck, Just my $.02 worth here. When I first got my Windows Phone, and started using mobile office, I was pretty impressed with OneNote and found myself using it quite a bit. I decided to see what Office 365 Home (Office 2013) was all about, and found out three things. 1: I really liked it, 2: WTH did they (MSFT) do to OneNote. Previously I was able format check buttons and a few other goodies in the SkyDrive Web app. After installing 2013, that all went away. If I really want to format and use OneNote now, I find that It is almost necessry to open the desktop app, do my thing, and then save it to SkyDrive. (3)Lastly I found out that when I open the OneNote book on my phone, it is perfect, and I can edit it and make changes almost as easily as I can using the desktop. Why they changed the SkyDrive version, I'll never know.
    If you really want to see what the whole thing tied together can do, Install Office 2013, and have some fun. Again Just my $.02 worth,.
    Here is one neat little item. I have 2 MSFT accounts and hence 2 SkyDrive accounts. When working on a document I can click save and it saves it to the current SkyDrive account. However if I click on "Save As", I can choose to save it to my other SkyDrive account, without even having to log into it.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Chuck, Just my $.02 worth here. When I first got my Windows Phone, and started using mobile office, I was pretty impressed with OneNote and found myself using it quite a bit. I decided to see what Office 365 Home (Office 2013) was all about, and found out three things. 1: I really liked it, 2: WTH did they (MSFT) do to OneNote. Previously I was able format check buttons and a few other goodies in the SkyDrive Web app. After installing 2013, that all went away. If I really want to format and use OneNote now, I find that It is almost necessry to open the desktop app, do my thing, and then save it to SkyDrive. (3)Lastly I found out that when I open the OneNote book on my phone, it is perfect, and I can edit it and make changes almost as easily as I can using the desktop. Why they changed the SkyDrive version, I'll never know.
    If you really want to see what the whole thing tied together can do, Install Office 2013, and have some fun. Again Just my $.02 worth,.
    Here is one neat little item. I have 2 MSFT accounts and hence 2 SkyDrive accounts. When working on a document I can click save and it saves it to the current SkyDrive account. However if I click on "Save As", I can choose to save it to my other SkyDrive account, without even having to log into it.
    John I sometimes find myself sitting back and saying "Yea, but what exactly that is new here is really of any use to me?"

I love playing with new toys, and software is one of the world's biggest toy lands. It has developed though, a couple of gotchas.

The first thing I noticed about Office 2013 was that I didn't like the colors. At all. I got used to 2010, but I liked 2007. Sometimes MS suffers from a dire need for the old adage "if it works, don't fix it." They (MS) may well be heading down that same road with Windows 8. They perhaps should have settled on just a tablet version there. But then, who am I to say? I just know that my desktop ain't making that switch.

OneNote and Sky Drive both have some features that are real exciting. But it seems that both have their issues as well. I actually have found it easier to use Evernote for my mobile needs, and then import into OneNote as required. That might well change, but at the moment it isn't seeming to be moving that way.

As for Sky Drive, I have been involved in a mish-mash with that for a couple three days, partly of my own making [yea you-all, I admit it, sometimes my tinkering gets me in trouble...], and partly of MS's. Sky Drive was giving away 25GB spaces a while back, and I grabbed one -- but inadvertently to the wrong e-mail address. So now I have two SD's, one 25 GB and one 7 GB. Problem is, the login for the 7 belongs with the 25, and vice versa. Getting THAT fixed is evidently not in the MS playbook, so I'm having to haggle over that.

ALL I wanted to do was set up Sky Drive as a cloud backup. Seemed pretty straightforward to me!

Just when I think I've learned my lesson -- to just leave well enough alone on my system -- somebody somewhere comes out with a carrot that is far too enticing. I just have to learn to wear a helmet in case there is a big stick along with the carrot!

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    John I sometimes find myself sitting back and saying "Yea, but what exactly that is new here is really of any use to me?"

As for Sky Drive, I have been involved in a mish-mash with that for a couple three days, partly of my own making [yea you-all, I admit it, sometimes my tinkering gets me in trouble...], and partly of MS's. Sky Drive was giving away 25GB spaces a while back, and I grabbed one -- but inadvertently to the wrong e-mail address. So now I have two SD's, one 25 GB and one 7 GB. Problem is, the login for the 7 belongs with the 25, and vice versa. Getting THAT fixed is evidently not in the MS playbook, so I'm having to haggle over that.

ALL I wanted to do was set up Sky Drive as a cloud backup. Seemed pretty straightforward to me!

Just when I think I've learned my lesson -- to just leave well enough alone on my system -- somebody somewhere comes out with a carrot that is far too enticing. I just have to learn to wear a helmet in case there is a big stick along with the carrot!

Regards,
    Chuck
    One thing fantastic thing about Skydrive and or the use of it, is that there are some great answer people in their forums Without mentioing names, I came across one of the most respected menber on this site helping me with a problem I was having using the excel web app. The moderators over there will stick with you even if it means going private, to help you out too. Major Plus! As for MS, my biggest fault with them ,is their advertising people. They need to hire a new company! That said, their new Surface Adds aren't too bad.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    John, thanks. That board may help as well. As for MS's advertising people...they ought to send a spy over to Apple and kidnap their people...the 1984 Super Bowl is a fabulous example.

Chuck