Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opinions please. WD 250GB external hard drive

I found a used Western Digital 250GB external hard drive model WD2500XMSE-00 for
    $29.00. They say it is cosmetically/functionally great. They said they don't need
    it anymore.

What do you think of the price and the model.

Need it for dell n1050 m processor 2.4Ghz, 4.0GB laptop running Win 7 Home Pre
    want to use it for backup imaging.

thanks...........glenda

Thanks
    Sounds fine.
    Don't forget to format the drive and run WD's diagnostic on it prior to commencing usage.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Glendad,

I have a WD2500ME-00 that's been working fine for several years. I also have 2 other WD Passport drives that I've also had zero problems with.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Clint & RetiredGeek you guys are awsome.

glenda

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'd be leery of acquiring and depending on a used drive for something as important as imaging other than just a temporary solution. You have no idea of how much usage and what type of usage the drive has seen. IMO, you are better off spending a little more for a new drive with a warranty. You can search for good prices for any reputable hard driver OEM. Joe

Thanks
    You also can get drives with much higher capacity for not much more money. Just look at any online supplier's web site. There are dozens of units with 2 to 4 times the capacity, many USB 3 capable (as well as USB 2) for less than $100. I saw many with a quick look see for $60 to $70, with 3 to 4 times more capacity.

Just do a Google Search for External HD's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your help.
    I already bought the 250GB. If I don't use the 250GB then I would have to resort to DVD's, if that is possible? This might not be a bad idea and store them in a fireproof safe as the orginial backup. What do you think? I know it will take a large qty but I have about 100 disks.
    Money is the problem here Medico and I don't really have extra to spend on new, that is why I have been asking questions.
    I want a wireless router and I will probably have to go the used route on that too.

Again thanks for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Glenda,

Belive me you don't want to backup to DVD's it will take forever and you have to sit there to change the DVD's when they fill. It is also way to easy to get a bad one in the middle of the process and due to the length of the process you're unlikely to verify the backup which IMHO should always be done. Under the Maintenance forum check out my post titled Epiphnay to see a neat way to set up your WD for Image backups.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Glenda,

Belive me you don't want to backup to DVD's it will take forever and you have to sit there to change the DVD's when they fill. It is also way to easy to get a bad one in the middle of the process and due to the length of the process you're unlikely to verify the backup which IMHO should always be done. Under the Maintenance forum check out my post titled Epiphnay to see a neat way to set up your WD for Image backups.
    Thanks Retired Geek will do..................glenda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download and run Crystal Disk Info to check the drive.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's something you have a use for and just ran across, you may have saved a fortune in transportation and time spent running around. It is entirely possible that the drive is brand new, or nearly so.

If you shop for a new one, remember that everything now is USB3, drives are typically much larger and lower cost per GB, and don't overlook the fact that bandwidth cost is constantly diminishing, which is leading a lot of users to store things in the cloud, where quite a bit of storage is available free of charge. There is a hotspot in town which is about four or five times as fast as what I have at home.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i am nervous about buying used mechanical devices
    especially when they are critical items

you can buy a NEW 1 TERABYTE drive for $99
    that is cheaper than buying 4 of that used drive and it would be fully new
    and have a longer useful life as well as more reliable

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mei has new wireless routers for no more than that disk drive cost

do run a full set of diagnostics and block out any bad sectors on the used drive

Thanks
    I like WD drives, and have used several external USB-2 drives from that company for a number of years now. Both desktop and portables. Not one failure yet. Mind you, I don't run the drives all the time. I disconnect them when they're not being used for backup or recovery, and I try to use them only when the computers are offline and recently security scanned.

With careful maintenance and moderate use, an external drive should last a number of years without failing. However, when you buy used, you have no idea of how much nor how intensively the drive has been used by its previous owner. And you have no manufacturer warranty to fall back on if anything fails.

I wouldn't risk my important System Image Backups on any single hard drive. I always copy my backups to a second drive. So I buy mine in pairs, except for the portables, which are only for temporary storage anyway. Some folks even store the spare drive off site in case of disaster.

What level of risk you can tolerate, and what expense your budget allows, are decisions which are entirely up to you. But I prefer redundancy and original manufacturer warranties. Just in case.

Remember, if your backup fails, you or someone else will have to do a system rebuild from Day One. And you could still lose any data not backed up elsewhere (or in the Cloud). How much is your time and effort worth? And do you know where your license keys are? Food for thought, when considering the expense of buying a reliable backup drive.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-11 at 16:38.
    -- Bob Primak --