Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool Windows 8 UK pricing

As is well known throughout the community the price for the Windows 8 Upgrade (when released) will be $40.

Normally when Microsoft releases software for the UK market it is of no great surprise to us this side of the pond when the retail price is the same as the US price but in GBP hence I was expecting the price to be around 40.

Imagine my surprise and delight this morning to find out that the UK price will be 24.99 which is as near as dammit the equivalent of $40!

Pat on the back to Microsoft for sensible pricing and not ripping UK customers due to currency variations. I wonder if other countries are going to be treated the same?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree Browni, that is refreshing and welcome.

For our non-UK readers, selling at number equivalent (offering a $40 product for 40) is roughly 60% markup for no (or very little) additional costs for electronic delivery and is a constant source of complaints this side of the pond...which is why that particular price policy is so refreshing.

However, when comparing the upgrade offer on a newly purchased PC...look here at the UK site and compare with the US version. You will find that the "play fair" message does not appear to have reached all Microsoft departments.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Does the UK version have the areas removed that the European Union (or whoever) is requiring? I know MS is having to pay ridiculous fines because they did not include competitor browsers in Win 7 by default. I wonder if this is a part of the pricing for Win 8.

What other products on the market, anywhere, are required to include competing products in their products or suffer large fines. IMO this is the opposite of free, fair enterprise. Anyone, anywhere can install the browser of their choice.

Sorry to have gotten off topic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You can blame Opera for that. They claimed MS was being anticompetitive (which the EU are hot on) by only including Internet Explorer hence the browser selection screen upon installation. It didn't go as far as media player in the UK but I know there were (are) versions which didn't include it.

As for the UK version of W8, I've not seen any details yet but I'm playing a heck of a game of catchup as I now know my PC can run W8.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm not aware of any features or functions that the EU require to be removed from Windows 8 for retail within the EU. My Technet version has nothing removed that I'm aware of.

There has been a long running battle between Microsoft and the EU (which Microsoft lost) due to anti-competitive behaviour, but I'm not aware of anything like that yet on Windows 8.

Of course for any individual it's debatable whether the behaviour in XP, Vista and 7 was anti competitive or not, but as far as the litigation went, the EU found that it was. I think their reasoning was that a browser is not an intrinsic part of the OS and hence is an additional product, bundled with the OS, hence shutting out competition. Coupled with the market dominance of Microsoft, the EU found that anti competitive.

I don't defend either side in the argument and apart from the small matter of the fine, the result for Microsoft was to implement an additional Windows Update for EU based machines. This presents an unmissable splash screen upon installation. The Browser Choice update gives the end user the opportunity to install a range of browsers that they may not have been aware of previously. It's quite noticeable the increase in the use of Firefox and Chrome since the Browser Choice update was implemented. Internet Explorer has significantly improved since then and from that point of view, some may argue that the EU were right to increase awareness and hence competition.

Anyway, back on thread: I have to say, it's not just Microsoft that implement number equivalent pricing between the US and UK. A wide range of consumer products are sold like this and it rankles that we must pay 60% more.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Well at least it appears MS is doing the right thing with the $40 USD Upgrade Pricing. I wonder if the $14.99 USD thing was an oversight. Probably not, but who knows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There are Windows 8 N versions, which do not include media player, I think, and are meant for Europe.

Thanks
    That's right, now I remember reading that. Nothing about an edition with the browser add-on to offer others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    There are Windows 8 N versions, which do not include media player, I think, and are meant for Europe.
    We're all guessing just now though...

Administrator
    Thanks
    It will be the same as with Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/What-is-Windows-7-N-edition

I
    t allows a choice of the media player.

More info: http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/17/med...-8-n-versions/

Thanks
    Come on Rui,

If you happen to live in the European Union and a handful of other countries, you may have picked up a Windows 8 N version. Maybe you bought a PC that it came preinstalled with, picked the both in the store or bought the copy of the operating system online. If you made that in error, you can add the missing components back to your computer system.
    It's not even been released yet!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Lol, I am not responsible for the article. I know there are N versions as I saw them on Technet / MSDN. I guess whoever wrote it, reused a Windows 7 article. The relevant part, and that is what I wanted to point out, is that the N versions will let you pick the media player of your choice.

Thanks
    Lol, I am not responsible for the article. I know there are N versions as I saw them on Technet / MSDN. I guess whoever wrote it, reused a Windows 7 article. The relevant part, and that is what I wanted to point out, is that the N versions will let you pick the media player of your choice.
    Now that could be interesting. What other media players were offered?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am afraid I can't answer that. I have never installed N versions, sorry.

Thanks
    I am afraid I can't answer that. I have never installed N versions, sorry.
    No probs mate,

I have seen many installations where the browser selection screen appears, I've never seen one which allows you to pick the media player of your choice though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast