Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Validation rejection in Firefox

My wife has a problem, for which she blames my maintenance of her PC.

She is trying to access online banking at her Finnish bank, but is unable to proceed beyond the following message:

“The publisher cannot be verified by a trusted source. Code will be treated as unsigned.”

Clicking details produces:
    Java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize. DK.Danskebank.ec.ec.esafekey.businesslogic.j

I have removed and reinstalled Java with no effect, then told her she should contact the bank as they need to sort it out, or tell her how to get around the barrier.

I asked her why when logged in to a Finnish bank the message refers to one in Denmark. Apparently they own Sampo and the name will change sometime in November. Presumably the validation code has been changed prematurely.

She refuses to contact Sampo and expects me to sort it out.

If anyone can suggest how to make Firefox ignore the problem and connect we would be extremely grateful. A nagging wife is intolerable.

George

PS IE doesn't even specify a problem, after 6 minutes still trying tp connect.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-10-03 at 08:14. Reason: Added PS

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I fixed this by going back to the previous version of Java (Java 6 update 35)
    You can find it on FileHippo and look for the Java updates.

I encountered the same problem with both Firefox and IE 9 when using the Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI) after installing any version of Java 7.
    Also, Java 7 will NOT verify if I go to the Verify Java page.

I don't know how to solve the problem with Java 7, but Java 6u35 does make everything work.
    I am running Windows 7 64-bit SP1, Firefox 15.01 and IE 9 with latest patches.

PS: When I installed Java 7u7 on my laptop running Win XP SP3, Both Firefox 15.01 and IE 8 were able to run the Secunia OSI without a problem. Therefore, the downloaded program from Secunia will work with Java 7u7, just not on my Win 7 x64 machine.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2012-10-03 at 10:13. Reason: Added PS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JC,
    It worked a treat, many thanks.

I suppose we should try each new update to Java 7 until they find a solution, or else the PC will become increasingly at risk.

Thanks
    Actually George, it would be helpful in solving this problem if you could tell us what versions of Windows, Firefox and Java you were using that caused the trouble.

Even the hardware you are using might be useful.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Vista Home Premium SP2
    Firefox 15.01
    Oracle Java 7.something (sorry I didn't make a note of it). Solved with Java 6 update 35
    Dell desktop, model unknown as I can never find such info in Vista. AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3600+, which I suppose means it is 64 bit system.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks
    Thank you Geroge, it may help some in that all failures I have seen so far involve 64 bit versions of Windows and Java 7.

If you Google ClassNotFoundException / jreVerification.class (the error reported by verify Java Version), you will find a few others who have experienced this problem, but no one has found a cure except to rollback the Java version.

All attempts to uninstall all references to Java and start over seem to fail with 64 bit systems.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Move your accounts to a bank that does NOT require use of JAVA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alan.b For This Useful Post:

speedball (2012-10-25)

Thanks
    This thread has some suggestions for the issue. It's a SSL Security Certificates issue, and has to do with both Firefox and Java, but mostly Java.

Feb 18, 2010 3:13 PM (in response to Peter Van Scherpe)
    Re: Publisher cannot be verified by a trusted source - 870
    The SSL certificate cannot be verify with any trusted CA servers (public CA server). This can be ignore and you should be able to proceed to the SDM interface by accepting the certificate.

and later,

In Firefox 3.5 (I am not running 3.6), you can do Tool->Options->Encryption->View Certificates->Servers->Add Exception. Under Server/Location, put https://x.x.x.x then Get Certificate then click on Permanently store this exception, then Confirm Security Exception.

In IE8, you follow the steps on the following link
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6...ed-certificate
    If these suggestions don't work, wait for Java to be updated again. JRE6u35 should be tracking with Secunia PSI as secure.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks

More info on the Java failure

Bob, that reference is from 2010. I don't see how it would affect this issue.

I am currently using Java version 6 update 35 (6u35) 32-bit and it works fine. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit sp1, Firefox 15.0.1 32-bit and IE 9 32-bit.

Secunia Online Software Inspector loads its Java program and runs in about 20 seconds and gives a full report. The Oracle "Verify Java Version" web site completes in about 2 seconds and says my Java 6u35 is the recommended version.

However, if I install any version of Java 7 (7u3, 7u5, 7u7) it fails to work at all for either Firefox or IE.

Secunia Online Software Inspector fails to load the Java program complaining about an unverified source. (This is the same Java program that works with Java 6u35.)

The Oracle "Verify Java Version" web site times out with an error

ClassNotFoundExecption / jreVerification.class

I have completely removed the current version of Java and even run JavaRA (with reboot after removal) to remove all traces before installing Java 7.
    I have removed both the 32-bit and 64-bit installations.
    I have run the Java Control Panel applet and set the Advanced options to allow FF and IE.
    I have tried installing just the 32-bit version alone and installing both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions together all with the same failure.
    Nothing seems to work.

My two other computers running Windows XP 32-bit SP3 can use Java 7u7 just fine. It simply installed over the Java 6u33 version without a hitch.

Secunia Online Software Inspector works correctly, so the same download program is not an unverified source for Java 7u7 with Win XP 32-bit. The Oracle "Verify Java Version" web site completes in about 8 seconds and says my Java 7u7 is the recommended version.

All computer systems (Win XP and Win 7x64) use the same Zone Alarm Firewall (free version).

I have researched this a little and someone on the Oracle Forum suggested that Java 7u7 was trying to use IPv6 addresses if it could, so I disabled IPv6 for my network connection (using the control panel) and in my router, but the problem still persisted.

The only common element I can see so far is that Java 7u7 fails on a 64-bit Windows operating system.

I am hoping that someone knows what is causing this behavior so I can fix it. Also, does anyone have any evidence of Java 7u7 running on a Windows 7 32-bit system or on a 64-bit system? If so, what version of Windows (Home, Pro, Ultimate)?

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    I'm running Java 7 updates 7 on my Windows 7 32 bit desktop and also on my 64 bit Windows 8 RP Laptop with no known problems. Secunia OSI loads almost instantly on Windows 8 and runs fine.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Jerry, this sort of narrows the problem to the 64 bit versions of Vista and Windows 7.

Thanks
    What puzzles me about this issue is that it has not been occurring for several of us who have nothing on any of our computers except JRE7 (current updates). I use Firefox for banking under Windows XP Pro 32-bit, and that laptop has only JRE 7. No issues ever occur of the type described in the OP of this thread. So, what is different, that the OP has issues, whereas several others with similar configurations do not have these issues?

The Finnish Bank Site is a prime candidate for the origin of any issues, especially if they are indeed SSL Certificates related. In fact, the error message states (partly in a Scandinavian language) that the issue is in fact a problem with the bank's SSL Certificates. "The Publisher" never refers to Java or JRE -- it always refers to the publisher of a Certificate being unknown to the browser. Without a valid SSL Certificate, the Java Application or JavaScript cannot proceed.

This is why I referenced the article on SSL Certificates. Java is not involved in this issue in every case, but JRE can in some cases make worse the issues caused by unrecognized security certificates. And this is ultimately resolved by Registering the site's SSL Security Certificate(s) within the browser (in this case, Firefox, as described in the 2010 article. Whether the article is from 2009 or 2010 is utterly irrelevant, as the relevant advice is the same now as it was then.) The procedure for Registering an Unknown Security Certificate is basically the same now as when the article was posted.

Choose to believe what you will -- I just go by documented facts, not speculation.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-12 at 19:08.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    The facts as I see them are:

The Secunia OSI works for Win XP 32 bit with Java 6u35 and 7u7

The Secunia OSI works for Win 7 32 bit with Java 6u35 and 7u7

The Secunia OSI works for Win 7 64 bit and Vista 64 bit with Java 6u35

The Secunia OSI FAILS for Win 7 64 bit and Vista 64 bit with Java 7u7

If this were a SSL Certificate issue, OSI would fail with Java 6u35 as well. The only thing that was changed was the Java version.

So I can only conclude that there is a problem with Java7 and 64 bit Win 7 and Vista, since Jerry said it worked with 64 bit Win 8.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2012-10-13 at 15:08. Reason: Added line for Win 7 32 bit

Thanks
    Regarding Secunia OSI, they may not have updated their tool yet to be compatible with JRE 7 in every possible configuration. That is very likely. And that is why I don't use online tools which rely on Java Applets -- too much chance of something like this happening. PSI never seemed to have Java issues in my experience up to PSI 2.x.

The Original Post was not about OSI. It was about the Finnish Banking Site. The Error Message was only about an Unknown Publisher of a Security Certificate.

Apples and oranges.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-13 at 23:07.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    My post #9 states that OSI returned an error message about an unverified source. Actually, it was the same exact message that the OP showed in the original post. That is why I told him about the rollback, which worked for him.

If this was just an OSI issue, why would the Oracle "Verify Java Version" page time out. If anyone should be up to date it would be Oracle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast