Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Synching with Windows Live Mesh and SkyDrive

TOP STORY

Synching with Windows Live Mesh and SkyDrive

By Patrick Marshall
    Have you ever been in a meeting or hotel room and suddenly realized that the only copy of an all-important document was on your home/office PC?
    Both Windows Live Mesh and SkyDrive provide cloud storage and a remote-access path to your files, but Live Mesh is the more flexible of the two.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/synching-with-windows-live-mesh-and-skydrive (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-10-03 at 19:12.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Live Mesh has been deprecated and will not be supported going forward. It would have been better to write about Mesh alternatives.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused

In a recent article in Windows Secrets (May 9, 2012 by Woody Leonhard in Woody's Windows) Woody informed us that (Windows Live is dead — get over it! Last week, in a widely anticipated move, Microsoft officially started tolling the bell for Windows Live’s demise). . Now you are endorsing it. Is it still viable and, if so, how safe is it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Go even further back for the real gem

Anyone who used the service when it was still Windows Sync knows how far Live Mesh and now Skydrive has deteriorated into an also ran. It used to be a fantastic tool for personal storage and syncing over the Internet; we're talking external drives and terabytes of information, all free.

Nearest thing still going right now is Google's GBridge, has remote control as well, but its a little more "LINUX-like" in it's setup, not quite as smooth as the no-brainer web-based two sided control one had with Sync. It really really was a gem. Mesh by comparison had/has very serious shortcomings.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mesh is the Best

Thank you for talking about Mesh. I have been using Mesh to keep my systems backed up for about a year now. It has worked every time. Mesh keeps my password file backed up so no mater what computer I am using, I always has the latest file. Mesh keeps my accounting program up to date between all the computers as well as all my documents. I like the sync between IEs too. I am very sad to see the program go. Works very well for me. I was really looking forward to using it on my new Surface Pro too. To bad it looks like it won't be available.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Live Mesh or its predecessors since before Microsoft acquired the service known as FolderShare. It was a great tool for syncing over the Internet and did the job very well for the right price: FREE!
    It's very disappointing to find out that Microsoft is now trashing this great utility. Does anyone know of alternatives other than Google's GBridge mentioned by post #4?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Windows Sync and it was great. In early 2011, that service finally ended and Live Mesh took its place. Though I'm no longer clear on all of the details at this point, there were things I couldn't do with it that I'd been doing previously. My typical scenario includes the regular use of 4-5 different computers between work and home. I might work from any one of those machines, game on 3 of them and use instant messaging on all of them. I had been synchronizing my work (generally just a common folder in My Documents), game settings & addons (both folders in My Documents and in the actual game installation folders in Program Files), and Yahoo Instant Messager archives (which could either be stored in the program's installation location, or in the hidden \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ folder path for my username, depending on the OS).

Live Mesh wouldn't let me synchronize the YIM archive, hidden user folders aren't allowed. I liked to be able pick up a conversation I was having when moving from one location to the next and having links that I wasn't able to view while at work available at home. At that point, know that Live Mesh was undergoing changes as a part of Live Essentials and that Skydrive wasn't right for my needs, I undertook a survey of the folder sync/backup services out there. I looked at a number of services on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ackup_services, including Carbonite, Comodo, DropBox, Elephant, Mozy, Spider Oak and SugarSync.

I was looking for a multiple machine solution that did both backup and sync (without location or file type restrictions) that didn't charge per machine. I was also gravitating towards a service that had mobile clients so that I could at least backup my smartphone pics and files I'd created on my iPad. Most of the services didn't allow some element of what I was wanting to do or you couldn't do it with more than 2 computers. In the end, I chose Sugarsync and have been very happy with it. It does everything I've described, I use it on 5 machines (one is a Mac), my Android phone and iPad3.

If you want to try Sugarsync, my referral link gets me extra storage and I'd be grateful. Otherwise, just visit the site directly. Or, check out some of the other services, many could be better now than they were when I looked at them and would fit your needs better.

Best to you all in your quest for sync/backup.
    arielmt

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm another of those Folder Share, Sync, Live Sync, Live Mesh obsolete old-timers. I have a over a dozen machines running Live Mesh successfully. It is part of my backup strategy and my laptop/desktop "have the same data" strategy. It is somewhat fragile. Sometimes it quits without a reason, but with a bit of monitoring (now with some PowerShell scripts to automate that), it is pretty good. But it seems MS is ready to drop support and I want to sync with Win 8... I've been testing Cubby (a LogMeIn product). So far it hasn't lived up to Mesh but it could. I expect I will eventually pay for a peer-to-peer sync solution. I hope it isn't per machine! And I hope there is a product that lets me have life so good as Folder Share once did!

Watch to see what Cubby does....
    Last edited by PhilI; 2012-10-04 at 17:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very interesting thread. I am syncing three computers and haven't found the ideal solution yet.

OneNote: I used SkyDrive and found that it worked well but since my company upgraded their IT system, SkyDrive was no longer available. I found that Sharepoint was though (company used Outlook and apparently the use of Exchange makes the ports necessary to link to Sharepoint available). I got a Microsoft 365 account but OneNote does not sync as well with Sharepoint as with Skydrive (might be a company problem but I am not sure since I have the same problem on the home computer).
    Microsoft 365 is really difficult to set up and not user-friendly at all. I have as yet been unable to figure out as a backup/syncing source for other kinds of files.

For my other needs, I use a combination of S3 and JungleDisk which is very flexible:
    - backup and sync can be separately defined
    - any folder or file combination can be included in a backup or sync job (no need to define a specific folder dedicated to syncing).
    - block-level (or incremental) syncing is possible (necessary for huge files)
    - allows syncing of opened files (necessary for PST files)
    - allows sharing of files or folders to third parties in a very flexible way
    - direct access of synced/folders as networked drive
    - flexible pricing (S3)
    - background syncing does not take up memory or other resources
    - JD works through the company closed system (I dunno how but it has always worked).

Unfortunately JungleDisk appears to be no longer maintained. Doubts on its security features have been raised almost a year ago but Rackspace (the new owner of JD) failed to respond or upgrade. JungleDisk needs to evolve (Glacier, access from smartphones, etc.) but there are no signs that this will happen.
    Cloudberry seems to be the only real competitor to JD but if anyone had any ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks

No Win XP support!

I'm surprised you didn't mention the biggest negative about Mesh. It was great as a beta product, but Microsoft pulled the support for Windows XP as they moved from Live Mesh to just Mesh and out of beta. While I may be using Windows 7, not every computer I communicate with does. I had to stop using the product at that point and moved on to LogMeIn.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pick your folders for Skydrive syncing

I too was disappointed when I heard Skydrive would eventually replace Live Mesh which was serving me well. I figured a work around to pick my folders for synching. I use the free version of Pure Sync to backup selected folders on my computer to the Skydrive folder, which is then in turn synced to the cloud. A little bit of "around the block" to get there, but it works.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgol For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-10-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cubby as an alternative

No one has mentioned Cubby.
    We've found it quite effective: https://www.cubby.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arielmt View Post
    I used Windows Sync and it was great. In early 2011, that service finally ended and Live Mesh took its place. Though I'm no longer clear on all of the details at this point, there were things I couldn't do with it that I'd been doing previously. My typical scenario includes the regular use of 4-5 different computers between work and home. I might work from any one of those machines, game on 3 of them and use instant messaging on all of them. I had been synchronizing my work (generally just a common folder in My Documents), game settings & addons (both folders in My Documents and in the actual game installation folders in Program Files), and Yahoo Instant Messager archives (which could either be stored in the program's installation location, or in the hidden \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ folder path for my username, depending on the OS).

Live Mesh wouldn't let me synchronize the YIM archive, hidden user folders aren't allowed. I liked to be able pick up a conversation I was having when moving from one location to the next and having links that I wasn't able to view while at work available at home. At that point, know that Live Mesh was undergoing changes as a part of Live Essentials and that Skydrive wasn't right for my needs, I undertook a survey of the folder sync/backup services out there. I looked at a number of services on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ackup_services, including Carbonite, Comodo, DropBox, Elephant, Mozy, Spider Oak and SugarSync.

I was looking for a multiple machine solution that did both backup and sync (without location or file type restrictions) that didn't charge per machine. I was also gravitating towards a service that had mobile clients so that I could at least backup my smartphone pics and files I'd created on my iPad. Most of the services didn't allow some element of what I was wanting to do or you couldn't do it with more than 2 computers. In the end, I chose Sugarsync and have been very happy with it. It does everything I've described, I use it on 5 machines (one is a Mac), my Android phone and iPad3.

If you want to try Sugarsync, my referral link gets me extra storage and I'd be grateful. Otherwise, just visit the site directly. Or, check out some of the other services, many could be better now than they were when I looked at them and would fit your needs better.

Best to you all in your quest for sync/backup.
    arielmt
    If going beyond 5GB free storage, up to the 100GB paid storage level, Sugarsync is three times as expensive as Skydrive. Just a piece of random factoid.
    By the way, if you have a financial interest in a service, you should not advertise via a Lounge posting.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tokjdm View Post
    Very interesting thread. I am syncing three computers and haven't found the ideal solution yet.
    Unfortunately JungleDisk appears to be no longer maintained. Doubts on its security features have been raised almost a year ago but Rackspace (the new owner of JD) failed to respond or upgrade. JungleDisk needs to evolve (Glacier, access from smartphones, etc.) but there are no signs that this will happen.)
    If the service is unreliable, unsupported, or insecure, why are you recommending it in the Lounge?
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GianChaz View Post
    No one has mentioned Cubby.
    We've found it quite effective: https://www.cubby.com/
    This product is in beta, and is available by invitation only. Pricing has not yet been set. Whether or not referring people gets users more storage is unclear to me at this point.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-10-06 at 04:18.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast