Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Canon replacement cartridges with microchips are available from several sources. I use Meritline myself.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using third party ink cartridges for years in my Canon MX860 and my wife's MX880 with no ill effects. Just recently I had an issue with the print head not printing in black. Deep cleaning using the software would work for a short time, then the problem would reappear. I removed the print head and soaked it for 30 minutes in distilled water, then rinsed it thoroughly with warm water under the tap and blew it dry with my air compressor. Problem solved. This printer is several years old and has been used quite a bit. I think it was due for a good cleaning and the problem wasn't caused by the third party ink. Just my opinion...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry and CWebb33. It is really a relief to hear that so many people are having good things to say about third-party ink cartridges. You all have a good one...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've refilled lots of cartridges successfully, but I never developed a technique which would allow me to finish the job without inking my hands too! I've had good luck with an outfit called 77ink.com A set of 3 colors + black for common Brother printers is under $12 post paid. I've gotten bad ones and a quick call to their 800 number gets a replacement pronto, no cost.

Thanks
    Here in UK I have used replacement compatible cartridges for an Epson printer for some years, and am now starting on the same for a Canon MG8150. I get them from Premier Inks in Leamington. Orders usually arrive on the next working day by Royal Mail. The printers have not objected so far, and my bank account rejoices.

The advice I got from our local computer shop/store some time ago was to use the maker's cartridges while the printer was still under guarantee, but thereafter to go onto compatibles.
    Septuagent

Thanks
    It appears that, contrary to the claims of the OEM sellers, 3rd party ink can work for all but the most demanding print jobs. And this 3rd party ink is definitely less expensive than the OEM sellers offerings. I personally tried the refill option years ago. My fingers are finally not discolored any more (). You have to find a 3rd party seller and try their offering. When you find one you like, go for it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I now know that Lexmark uses microchips. LOL! I found out the hard way. Luckily for me the vendor was reputable and refunded me in full. Purchased through Amazon.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just putting in my twopence worth. I had an Epson Photostylus R340 and used third party cartridges for years without a problem then suddenly the printer refused to acknowledge them. (I had changed only 1 of the 5 colours + black) I tried every solution on the internet to no avail. The printer was around 7/8 years old so maybe that had something to do with it! I now have a Kodak 3 in 1 and the cost of replacement cartridges is a fraction of the cost of the Epson.

Thanks
    In the older Epson printers, there was a copy counter chip on the cart, and at a certain copy count, that cart would stop working, even if there was still ink in it. I still have the chip resetters that I bought for those old carts, even though I don't use those any more. And, no more inky hands as well.
    I buy only the factory refurbished ink carts and when they get empty, I toss them and put in a new one. No big deal.
    The quality of ink is great....the pictures and printed pages look great and the printer doesn't object, so.......

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    In the older Epson printers, there was a copy counter chip on the cart, and at a certain copy count, that cart would stop working, even if there was still ink in it. I still have the chip resetters that I bought for those old carts, even though I don't use those any more. And, no more inky hands as well.
    I buy only the factory refurbished ink carts and when they get empty, I toss them and put in a new one. No big deal.
    The quality of ink is great....the pictures and printed pages look great and the printer doesn't object, so.......

The Doctor
    If memory serves, this was one of the grounds for the class action lawsuit in which I participated. It was nice to get free ink, but even nicer to see that issue go away.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Re: Inky hands.....

Send your wife, girlfriend or SO to the beauty supply place and buy a cheap box of clear plastic gloves like they use for hair coloring. Works great. If you are not shy, you can go there yourself.

BJ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been buying generic cartridges for my Canon MX870 for some time now. I use GQ Imaging out of Bell Gardens California. A full set of two black and 3 colored cartridges only cost about $5 with free shipping. The cartridges do have the microchips in them. I purchase on Amazon. I've only had one cartridge go dead on me, was still half full when the printer said it was empty.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're in the UK the best supplier I've found is Prink.
    My Canon Pixma iP4700 works fine with them.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    While I'm aware that many people do have success with compatible inks, I've been burnt a few times in the past. Now, when somebody asks for inks, I explain that I will only offer genuine cartridges and the reasons why:

The problem is that if the cartridge doesn't work, or the printer suddenly stops working, (or indeed any number of other issues to do with printing that the client ascribes to be due to the cartridge) I end up having to sort out the problem at both a cost in hard cash and time to myself, plus the loss of reputation. It's simply too much hassle for me to take a risk with somebody else's equipment.

Most clients respect that position and go for the genuine. If they still prefer compatible cartridges, I point them to Amazon and recommend they buy the cartridges themselves.

I've never had a return from a genuine cartridge and that's worth a lot to me.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    For a tech or a dealer, that certainly makes sense, However, for HP cartridges, even Staples offers the generics, and folks are very happy to have the extra capacity and the lower costs.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast