Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't like generic cartridges, so I compromise.

When the print quality starts to deteriorate, I buy a OEM new one.

When it runs out of ink, I refill it. I keep refilling until the print quality starts to suffer, usually not until I have done so 20 times or more. So the cartridge cost itself/refill comes to $0.90 or less.

I bought my ink in bulk - 1000 ml black cost $40 or $0.04/ml. 250ml of each of the colors cost a total of $60 or $0.08/ml. When I completely refill the black cartridge, the ink costs $0.30. To completely refill all the colors, which never happens, would cost $0.84 - the average is probably closer to $0.50.

I could reduce the cost even more by purchasing larger quantities, but the ink I have will last me at least a couple of years.

I have not noticed any quality difference between the manufacturer's ink and the aftermarket ink.

Bill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the printer uses chipped cartridges that have the print head on the cartridge, it's best to use the manufacturer's cartridges, but if the ink is delivered to a fixed print head in the printer, then using third-party cartridges from a reputable source is a good idea because the cartridges are like tanks of ink. Most of Canon's and Epson's current printers use tank cartridges and fixed print heads. The same goes for Brother. If Amazon has suppliers that supply compatible ink cartridges then it's usually all right to buy them. Read the purchaser reviews. If you search for Brother ink cartridges you'll see more compatibles than originals.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    The ink cartridges from InkSell.com arrived today. For approximately $58.00, I got two sets of the cartridges required by the Canon Pixma MX870. That is, 4 black and 2 each of the other colors for a total of 12. I installed one of the large black cartridges and the first four printouts had ink smeared over a small portion of the top right corner of the paper, but there was substantially less smearing with each succeeding printout. After four printings, no more problems with ink spillage. I think the smearing was caused by the cartridge being filled to the brim.
    There may have been excess ink on the print head. Before installing an ink cartridge, check its print head and remove any excess ink with a damp cotton swab.

I've never tried inksell.com, so I'll remember that one. I've tried many other third party ink cartridge suppliers, both online and retail stores, and they were all a disappointment except for one, which was LD Products (http://www.ldproducts.com). I bought two black ink jet cartridges from them on separate occasions over the past year for my Hewlett Packard printer, and both worked well.

If a new ink jet cartridge won't print, try soaking the print head in warm water for a few minutes, then blot the print head on a damp, folded paper towel. This process will usually clear dried ink from the print head and get the cartridge working. To keep your hands from getting stained while handling ink cartridges, try using latex or nitrile medical gloves; they're cheap and disposable.

http://www.drugstore.com/ansell-medi...8?catid=184296

http://www.drugstore.com/caremates-n...6?catid=184296

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you cloudsandskye. Your analysis is probably correct. Once the problem cleared up, it never returned. So far, I am very happy with InkSell.com. They have good products with a fair priced. I have noted down LD Products and will give them a try.

Have a Good one....

Moon

New Lounger
    Thanks

Money vs Convenience

All this good luck with 3rd party cartridges has me thinking. I saw two printers (a Brother and a Canon) bite the dust in less than a year using 3rd party cartridges. Everything was fine until the printer just stopped working. After the Canon died I took it to a repair shop to see if there was any chance of warranty paying for a repair. I was told that the use of the 3rd party cartridges cancelled the warranty and that the mother board was shorted out by the cartridges. This guy handles all brands of printers and does not sell them so as far as I know he has no incentive to lie to me. He says he sees it happen all the time.
    So I've been buying OEM cartridges. But those who say they save enough to pay for a new printer if it dies are probably right. I guess I'll just search Quicken to see how much I paid for ink in the last year, check prices, and figure out where the break even point is. If you do or have done the same thing, don't forget to figure in your time and inconvenience in choosing, buying, configuring, and getting used to a new printer.

Thanks
    I bought a Canon Pixma printer/scanner/copier from Walmart for $29. Works great. But if I ruin the printer because of a bad after-market ink cartridge, I'll just see what new $29 PSC walmart.com is selling now and replace it. Very little lost, a lot of money saved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Canon PIXMA MP990 bought locally in Australia and have never bought another cartridge in 2 years of use. I buy bulk inks in the Supermarket and refill the tanks. The only special tool is a chip resetter which I bought from Germany. The quality of high gloss photo prints have not degraded at all even though the cartridges themselves are now quite dirty looking. Recently I started getting error messages that my printhead was non-standard, so I pulled out the cartridges and the printhead and gave the printhead a thorough cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Everything is working well again. Don't be fooled into paying for high priced inks - the products from teh supermarket are as good as the high priced original cartridges. By now all printer-users know that the manufacturers are ripping off consumers with high priced replacement ink cartridges and scaring them with horror stories about ruining their printers.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Matters888 for sharing your experience with third-party inks. What you wrote is very encouraging.

Have a happy holiday season,

moon

Thanks
    I purchased a black ink refill kit at Walgreens for $15. I estimate it will fill 16 or more cartridges. My Canon printer/scanner/copier cost $30 at Walmart.com, so if it gets damaged along the way, I haven't lost much.

I figure if I am careful, I likely won't cause any damage to the printer. And when the cartridge finally dies, I'll simply buy another one, and then refill it till it dies.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I am finding so interesting is that there is not a multitude of responses here that say that the third party inks messed up their printers. That is such good news!

moon1130

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moon1130 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-12-03)

Thanks
    Every once in a while if I pull the printed page out quickly and rub on it, I find the ink not quite dry, but this is not a happening often problem as my printer is on a different level at my home.

I do not use my printer often any more, and I find that at times the print heads clog from lack of use, but again this is not an ink problem so much as a lack of use problem.

The after market ink cartridges work quite well for me, at a greatly reduced cost.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I find that nothing beats a laser printer for text quality and running costs for every day use. I do have a Canon inkjet for color output but I find I rarely use it. For the inkjet, I get cheap chipped replacement cartridges from Meritline. i used to refill, but the chipped cartridges as so cheap its not worth the mess and bother.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka, what ink do you use for your laser printer, third-party or the more expensive factory? If third party, what have been the results? Thank you.

Thanks
    Laser printers use toner not ink. I haven't had to replace the toner yet and its been over a year. Depending on the printer, you can find plenty of third party suppliers of toner cartridges via a Google search.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. That will be a decision I will have to make eventually.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123