Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Third-party printer ink

New Egg is offering Canon Pixma ink cartridges considerably less than Canon is. Though Canon advises Canon printer users not to use third party inks, does anyone have experience with the inks offered by New Egg? If so, are the inks quality inks? Does the printer work fine with them?

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I have heard a lot of after market cartridges aren't that good.

But, on my old Canon I refilled the different color cartridges for years with no trouble.
    I bought pints of ink and the ink seems to have a indefinite shelf life.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I cannot say for sure about the Newegg products, but I often buy discounted ink and have had great success. Most recently I have been buying from InkSell.com. I started buying here at a recommendation from someone else and have not been disappointed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Banyarola for your responses. The prices that the printer companies charge for ink cartridges is astronomical. That both of you have been using non-company inks with success is music to my wallet and ears. I will order some ink cartridges from InkSell.com today and give it a try.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks
    I do not think you will be disappointed. Let us know.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Epson stylus Photo R290. Set of six genuine Epson cartridges $124.00 Australian. 3 yrs ago my son put me onto generic cartidges. Set of 5 colour and 2 black $18.00 Aust.
    Have not had any problems. Colour equal to Epson. Cartridges last longer.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

The ink cartridges from InkSell.com arrived today. For approximately $58.00, I got two sets of the cartridges required by the Canon Pixma MX870. That is, 4 black and 2 each of the other colors for a total of 12. I installed one of the large black cartridges and the first four printouts had ink smeared over a small portion of the top right corner of the paper, but there was substantially less smearing with each succeeding printout. After four printings, no more problems with ink spillage. I think the smearing was caused by the cartridge being filled to the brim.

Thanks a million Medico. You saved me so much money. InkSell.com seems to be a winner, giving us quantity and quality inks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

generic ink

I have been filling my own inks for more than 4 years both Canon and Brother with no problems. I recently bought a Brother MFC9125CN laser color multifunction centre and bought a full set of replacement cartrages for $164.00 against $241.00 for genuine and they are just as good as the originals (Couldn't resist the price for the MFC 9125CN, Rec Ret A$600.00 and got it for A$348.00, 'http://www.tammex.com.au/store/index.php)
    I use 'http://www.inkstation.com.au/?gclid=CN_LlIjt3rICFeZMpgodmgQAKA' and have saved a lot of money with no ill effects.
    Cheers
    Allan

Thanks
    Echoing the successes posted here, my husband has been refilling our various HP cartridges for years with no problems. We have switched to Epson printers in the couple years and he practices his four letter words with the fiddly-ness of the cartridges, but they are working just fine. I forget who he orders the ink from, but it is most reasonable and delivered quickly.

BJ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I cannot say for sure about the Newegg products, but I often buy discounted ink and have had great success. Most recently I have been buying from InkSell.com. I started buying here at a recommendation from someone else and have not been disappointed.
    I resemble that remark! lol
    I had such bad experiences with Canon, while the manager of a Printer Service Center, that I'll never own a Canon printer.
    All my good experiences were with Epson. I became an Epson factory trained service tech.
    But for my own home use, (I have five Epson printers) the cost of OEM Epson ink carts was breaking me up.
    In my search for cheaper ink, I too have settled on Inksell.com for all my ink and toner supplies.
    I needed a toner cart for an old HP Laserjet printer. The cheapest cart I could buy locally was over $50 (remanufactured).
    So somewhat in despair I went to Inksell.com and bought the cart for $34 with FREE shipping. It was here in three days, from Texas.
    The typical price for an Epson ink cart is around $7, not the near $20 price at local stores. The ink is of good quality and my printers work well with it. So my vote goes to Inksell.com

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Third Party printer ink addendum

Guess we all have had problems with printers - dropped Epson a few years ago and recently HP after a huge fiasco.

Have tried to find a taker for my remaining 901 ink and cartridges, didn't think to go looking in a forum.

I have several ounces of the three colors and several cartridges, if any one is interested.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ive been buying Epson NX 305 Cartridges (Generic for under $5 )

Well under $5ea , I might add
    Using MegaToners.com
    never had a problem!!!!
    Last edited by jr213; 2012-10-11 at 11:43.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had great luck with ink cartridges purchased on Amazon. There is a company called eForCity that sells cartridges for my Canon Mx870. The actual manufacturer is G & G. I bought 2 sets of with all of the cartridges including the large black cartridge. Both were delivered to me in Canada in about two weeks for a total cost under $20.

They work really well. No difference in the print quality and I have had no problems with leaking cartridges.

I know that the printer companies tell you that third party inks might harm your printer or that your pictures might prematurely fade. With the amount of money I'm saving I can buy a new printer and I can always print another copy of a picture.

Regards

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    when the pixels were large i refilled my own and they basically worked okay for biz use

as the pixels got smaller i use only OEM original ink especially for quality photo printing

i have had a lot of bad luck with 3rd party inks and toners
    but with printers so cheap you may be willing the chance taht you need to replace the printer heads by just junking it and buying a new cheap printer

so how important is cheaper vs risk of reduced quality and damage to the printer

only you can answer that
    for me i wont risk it

Thanks
    As long as Cannon is not using microchips to identify genuine OEM cartridges, generic replacements should be just fine. And also as long as your printing needs do not involve very high quality photo printing, where inferior inks can produce inferior results.But otherwise, generic is just fine.

Refilling is another matter. Heads which are in some brands inside the print cartridges, do become clogged and can overheat, which can damage your printer. Refilling some brands is perfectly safe, while this practice is definitely not recommended for other brands.

I use an Epson CX-3810 all in one printer, which does have some print head components inside the cartridges, but does not have a microchip to prevent use of third-party generic inks. I use OEM genuine Epson inks, but I see no reason not to use generics if that is preferred. I just don't do so much printing that I ever notice how much I spend on the Epson brand.

Epson lost a class action lawsuit over their microchips, so I go a free set of cartridges and free photo paper from them in the settlement. That was kind of neat. Currently, generics (where available) would work just fine. But Epson has been suing third-party ink makers for patent infringements regarding their ink formulations, so I haven't found locally any generic Epson cartridges -- only HP, Lexmark and Cannon. Your experiences in other markets or online may vary.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast